• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hurp

Line fade

This topic is 3148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to draw line on the y axis from 1 to -1, but the closer it is to zero the more it will be transparent. I am able to draw a line from 1 to -1 just fine, however, when I try to make the middle (closer to 0) fade it will just fade near -1. I figure the alpha should be "float fAlpha = abs(IN.pixelOutPos.y);" because that logically makes sense to me as it will approach zero, it will have more alpha, than the more it going to -1, it will have less alpha (due to abs(pos.y)). Does anyone know what the problem may be? This image would describe what I am getting, and what I want to get (I don't know how to embed images?) http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3619/linefail.jpg Here is my shader
float4x4 worldViewProjectionMatrix;

struct VS_INPUT
{
float3 position : POSITION;
float3 color : COLOR0;
};

struct VS_OUTPUT
{
float4 outPos : POSITION;
float3 pixelOutPos : COLOR1;
};

struct PS_INPUT
{
float3 pixelOutPos : COLOR1;
};

VS_OUTPUT VS(VS_INPUT IN)
{
VS_OUTPUT OUT;

OUT.outPos = mul(float4(IN.position, 1.0f), worldViewProjectionMatrix);
OUT.color = IN.color;
OUT.pixelOutPos = IN.position;

return OUT;
}

float4 PS(PS_INPUT IN) : COLOR
{
float fAlpha = abs(IN.pixelOutPos.y);
return float4(IN.color, fAlpha);
}

technique Test
{
pass
{
AlphaBlendEnable = true;
DestBlend = 6;
SrcBlend = 5;

VertexShader = compile vs_2_0 VS();
PixelShader = compile ps_2_0 PS();
}
}

Advertisement
Calculating final alpha with abs(y) sounds fine for your desired goal, but only if in the pixel shader y is in the range [-1,1] (and has been interpolated properly).

Hmmmmm, I think now I see the problem. You pass along the position with a color semantic. One might think that's ok, since colors get interpolated as well. But I think since you use shader model 2 the value will be clamped to normalized color value, i.e. between 0 and 1.

Maybe it's not that, but try using a different semantic, for a start. Normally one uses TEXCOORD0 or any other tex coord.

(edit)
If that does not help, make somehow sure y is in the desired range, for instance with PIX.

Is your input vertices position.y are in -1 and 1 ?
I mean, is your line vertices defined in local space like so p0(0,-1,0) ; p1(0,1,0) because you are outputing the untransformed position to the pixel shader if I'm not mistaken.

It seems that because I was using COLOR0 it was clamping the values, I switched it to TEXCOORD0 and everything is not working fine.

Thank you both for the help =)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!