Yet another C++ book thread

Started by
4 comments, last by jackolantern1 14 years, 1 month ago
First off, I did my homework and searched first. :) But I did not find what I was looking for. I need help with deciding on a proper setup of books to make me proficient in C++. In my search through the forum I found these books: C++ primer by Barbara Moo C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata Effective c++ - 55 specific ways to improve your programs and designs by Scott Meyers More Effective C++ by Scott Meyers Code Complete by Steve McConnell C++ programming language:special edition by Bjarne Stroustrup Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koenig The problem is that I do not know in which order I should get them? So can anyone sort these books (and maybe other books as well) into a beginner, intermediate and advanced scale, please? Thanks in advance
Advertisement
An unrelated advice to everyone:
Please don't add "Yet another" to the title.
We all know that there are many threads like that.
And why do you feel you have to apologize in advance? If you feel you are guilty, then don't post. If not, then post.

Everyone will gladly help you, even if you don't apologize in advance.
It's more annoying for me, than a simple straight question.

Sorry for the OFF, I can't program in c++ :P
Quote:Original post by Vulpeculae
C++ primer by Barbara Moo

Effective c++ - 55 specific ways to improve your programs and designs by Scott Meyers

Get these two.
I'd add The C++ Standard Library by Josuttis, and maybe cut down on the number of syntax books; they're likely to duplicate a lot. Go review some of them in a bookstore/library and see which ones best suit your learning style.

beginner books:
C++ primer by Barbara Moo
C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata
Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koenig - although this book assumes prior programming knowledge and goes pretty quick most still consider it a beginners book.

intermediate/advanced:

Effective c++ - 55 specific ways to improve your programs and designs by Scott Meyers
More Effective C++ by Scott Meyers
Code Complete by Steve McConnell
C++ programming language:special edition by Bjarne Stroustrup more like a reference book than a book you really want to read all the way through.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Also, for the cost of one of those books each month, you could get a subscription to Safari Books Online and have access to almost all of them plus many more. I love Safari, as I used to spend a ton on tech books (I love reading tech books and learning new things). It is great for people learning new things as well :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement