Sign in to follow this  
Andy474

[XNA] Characters, Models and Textures

Hello again! I am trying to create a sort of FPS or just a 3D World. I current have created a Landscape class which loads in a height Map and creates a world from that. this works Fine. However, I now want to create a Character. Now I can easily create the classes, that's the easy part for me, however my Art skill are limited (almost non existent) So my First Question is: "Does anyone know a good place to get free models from? Currently I use some from Google Sketchup" My Next Question is Directly about XNA. I can currently Draw a Model on the Screen from a .fbx file using methods from Reimers.net[Creating a Model] So far I have Draw a Model to the screen with a Texture. However If I wanted to create a character with Clothing that could be changed during Run time, such as change the texture of his shirt for instance. I need a new Texture. So I might have the following Textures Loaded in:
Texture2D CharBottoms, CharTop, CharSkin;

My Question is: "If i have these textures, how do I tell XNA where to draw them on the model?" At the Moment, my Model is given a texture, which has a UV mapping, that is that the mesh is laid out over a single .png file which seems to work. However if i need a Texture for the Top, a texture for the bottom. how do i tell XNA to draw it at a specific point on the model? If Anyone knows of any good tutorials that could help with this, or can even give me some help that would be gratefully appreciated Thanks in Advanced ~Andy^!

First, I'm not an XNA person. But a bit of googling for "xna multiple textures" yields a lot of results. I think this particular article may describe what you're asking about.

For what you want to do (without complicating it too much), the model you load has to have been created with several parts - in your case, a "top," "bottom," and "skin." When you render it, you set the texture for each part.