Problem with Visual C++ console window

Started by
7 comments, last by andrew1b 14 years, 1 month ago
Hello, Sometimes when I'm running my console application on debug mode the console window won’t close when the application ends (normally when it triggers an exception). I may stop debugging but the console window stays there, and it never closes! I tried Ctrl+Alt+Del but it still can't close the window, even the Microsoft’s Process Manager will cause system crash when I attempt to kill the process. That wouldn't be such I big issue for me if it wasn't blocking the system shut down, since windows only shuts down after successfully finishing every process. It doesn’t look like it’s a virus. I use the express version on Windows XP. Am I the only one having this problem? Is it possible to close the console windows without having to reboot my system or making it crash?
Advertisement
That problem has been seen by several (as mentioned in several discussions here on gamedev - which you can search for).

Unfortunately, it appears you may have to power-down/restart windows to get out of the situation. The ultimate solution is to fix whatever error you're getting during execution. That's a pain, but that appears to be the solution.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

Thanks. I have googled this forum about it but I couldn't find anything. I'll browse harder next time.
Anyway... that's a shame because crashes are ordinary while programming complex stuff, and that's why we run the debug mode. I hope they'll fix it soon.
When a process shuts down it doesn't necessarily go away immediately. If any other process has a handle to the original one then the original will exist in basically a zombie state until all the handles get closed.

In similar situations I've found that shutting down Visual Studio usually fixes the problem. You may also need to use task manager to kill any other MSVC related stuff (e.g. msvcmon.exe) if they also don't go away on thier own.

I haven't seen this for a while though. If you're still using VC6 remind me to hunt you down and do terrible, evil, things to you until you upgrade.
-Mike
Quote:Original post by Anon Mike
If you're still using VC6 remind me to hunt you down and do terrible, evil, things to you until you upgrade.

Terrible and evil things like...
>this?
Check if you have KB978037 and KB977165 installed, and if so uninstall them and see if that resolves the problem. These have known issues that cause problems very similar to what you described.
Well, closing MSVC++ and all related proccesses doesn't help me at all. They won't close at any circumstances! Believe me, I tried everything. Even shutting the computer down won't do the job, I have to hold the power button to turn it off!

Quote:Original post by Anon Mike
I haven't seen this for a while though. If you're still using VC6 remind me to hunt you down and do terrible, evil, things to you until you upgrade.

Oh god, no! You may drop your spoon. I'm using the Express version.
Quote:Original post by andrew1b
Well, closing MSVC++ and all related proccesses doesn't help me at all. They won't close at any circumstances! Believe me, I tried everything. Even shutting the computer down won't do the job, I have to hold the power button to turn it off!

Have you tried uninstalling the aforementioned patches >.>
Quote:Original post by cache_hit
Quote:Original post by andrew1b

Have you tried uninstalling the aforementioned patches >.>

Yes, I did. But I didn't have time to see if it solves the problem yet. I'll feed you back whether it works or not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement