quality of the workplace / studio ratings

Started by
2 comments, last by benblo 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi! I'm looking for a job (programmer) and interviewing for a bunch of studios; some are small teams where you can see the workplace, meet the people and get a good feel of what working there is actually like... others are more "we got this HR process so follow it and we'll see", so even if they do offer you a position, you won't really know what you'll get until D-day. In itself, the HR process is a clue I guess, but certainly not as true-to-life as real testimonials from real people. A friend showed me this site: RateYourCompany.us... however, most studios aren't represented, I suppose people who are actually happy with their company don't bother, only those with a grudge post there (http://www.notetonentreprise.com/company.php?id=1743&entreprise=etranges-libellules). So does anyone know of a similar site/forum more specialized in the game industry? PS: I'm not too sure I choose the right subforum... don't hesitate to point me somewhere else.
Advertisement
Interviews should not be one-sided. You are expected to ask questions. If you have questions about QoL issues, then ask them. They should be honest, just as you should be honest.

If you are careful about it, if the company takes you around the building and introduces you to a few people, very tactfully ask your questions to your future co-workers.

As you move through the building you should be very observant. Look at the demographics by age. Most older people have figured out that life's too short for a bad QoL. Look at what they are wearing, the attitude of individuals, even how they pace themselves. How many employees surfing the web? Look at what is on people's desks, and determine if they are late night belongings.

You can also look at the parking lot and learn quite a bit. Visit the place in for a few evenings and note how busy they are. You can check out the building and lot on a weekend.

Asking the right questions and keeping your eyes open should give you a good estimate of QoL.
Your Workplace. Take it with a pince of salt however.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Awesome! exactly what I was looking for... shame there isn't more data though, looking at the "global statistics" it feels like the website owner made some buzz when he created it then let it die. Still, it offers a quick overview for the companies that do get ratings.

Btw I found a similar site for Canada: http://www.ratemyemployer.ca/. Looks like Ubisoft Quebec rates a LOT better than Ubisoft Paris (which has a real bad reputation).

@forb: thanks, lots of good advice there, most of which I never thought about! However I was more looking for how to get a feel beforehand (wasn't clear on my post though), maybe before even applying, just so I know how badly I want to work there, how much energy I'm gonna spend to try & get an interview, and if I do get one, what questions to ask.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement