Browser real time strategy game

Started by
10 comments, last by controltheland 12 years, 11 months ago
Hey guys, I have been working on a real-time strategy browser game (like C&C or starcraft). http://www.controltheland.com It is a network game, where each player competes against all other human players. The project is open source http://code.google.com/p/controltheland/ I would be glad if you can give me some feedback. If you have any idea to make the startpage better please let me known Technologies used: * Browser JS/HTML/CSS (Map: Canvas/VML) * Tomcat (6) * GWT * Spring * Hibernate * MySql * Wicket * Server: Linux (Ubuntu 8.10) JAVA (1.6) Many thanks
Advertisement
Switch to using canvas to render everything. It'll be 100 times easier than absolute positioning div tags.
Canvas is used to render the map. If I would use canvas to render the whole game, I had to redraw the whole map if an item is moved. This would be very slow.
Yeah I see what you mean. Might try to use a smaller screen then put your marketplace in the same window and such. Keep everything contained.

// edit nvm fixed the bug in my code.

[Edited by - Sirisian on March 24, 2010 12:03:09 AM]
I have tried it. Pleasant and easy to use. The problem with persistent RTS is getting People to come back. It's pretty lonely out there. I suggest you put some evil Bots building their Bases and roaming the Land for trouble.
Going to test it tonight to see what it's like...

Suggestion - add a screenshots page to your website
Fix - your 'Home' link is messed up, looks like it's set to /.

******************************************************************************************
Youtube Channel

Yeah its totally entertaining.
Its true that maybe the map should be larger (or possibility to navigate to other maps), the scrolling easier (keyboard), de-selection possible, i didn't see a chat interface ?
bots of course yes...

well good job.

edit: oh and you lost when you son't have the money to make an harvester and all the other are deads ? you should detect this case.
or add the way to sell factories and buildings and stuff for 50% their price or something.
Thanks for the feedback.

Improve scrolling with keyboard is a good idea. I will try to implement this.

You can deselect items with the right mouse button, if your browser allows this. Opera does not.

The problem with enlarging the map is the pathfinding. As larger the map as longer takes pathfinding. I have to improve the algorithm.

A chat interface is now available. It is on the right bottom and you will see other online bases.

Building evil bot is a good idea too... but it's not so easy. But I will try it :)

Whats always bothering me is the tutorial. But a tutorial is necessary to show how it's working. Do you have any good ideas?

[Edited by - controltheland on March 25, 2010 10:51:05 AM]
I think your explanations are quite good, one can learn the game thanks to the phrases you put a little everywhere.
just repair the bug that shows them twice :)
my browser doesn't allow right click, it shows the flash plugin context menu.

also, isn't there somewhere a general score table ? maybe instead of doing the inventory stuff where we have to open a new browser tab, you should to a window in game. (for inventory and general scores)

i'm critisizing but the base remains a good job.
Spring, Hibernate, Wicket, GWT... you are certainly making use of the whole open-source stack out there :) Looks great. One thing I noticed is that the pathfinding needs work - in the tutorial the jeeps from the base moved around the forest behind the target construction vehicle even though it would be much faster to go directly towards the target.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement