Sign in to follow this  
djz

Does it make sense to study the following?

I was homeschooled (read: kept away from school) and went to college for music so my formal math training is rather scant. I am comfortable with what I think is a decent amount of algebra (I am comfy with using trig and algebra to solve programming problems, can solve systems of equations without difficulty) and have started learning physics; I was able to purchase several text books from a second hand store and now have a couple of books on algebra from the 70s (one that seems to go through most everything I have learned, with several chapters on vectors and matrices at the end) the fourth edition of Calculus with Analytic geometry, and an old edition of Fundamentals of Physics. Am I on the right track? If I have basic algebra, I should be able to learn advanced algebra, which should prepare me for calculus; and I can learn Physics in parallel, since I assume I will use linear algebra in physics. It seems that Physics+Linear Algebra+Calculus should allow me to make the most 'sense' out of the more mathematical/academic computer science papers; as well as adequately prepare me to write assessment tests so I can start adding math credits (I have virtually no 'official' Math, through highschool or otherwise) through night school or correspondence to my post-secondary education profile; with the idea of getting into a Comp Sci program in the next few years; which is all secondary to the fact that math is really neat and interesting. Are there any gaps that I should address here in terms of texts/subjects?

Newtonian Physics is Calculus. the latter was developed while the former was being developed. It makes sense to either learn them together or to learn Calculus before learning physics. Physics makes infinite more sense when you know calculus; otherwise it's a bunch of random equations that you have to memorize. With calculus you can easily derive all the equations from a few simple ones.

Linear Algebra is essential for games programming.

-me