• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Slateboard

How do you keep up with your various ideas/etc?

This topic is 2983 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Typically, whenever I think of something, I just make a text document, with a different document for each different aspect (story would be separate from item list, etc). I was wondering if there's an easier way to do it as far as keeping things organized better.

Advertisement
I sketch it on a piece of paper and then throw it away. Of course, I'm probably not the best example to copy.

My final level designs usually have only a vague resemblance to the original concept since I do most of the designing by trial and error while play testing.

In my case, I always have ideas popping into my head about other projects, so I want to record them so I don't forget them.

But I'm looking for a more convenient way to do it.

A Personal wiki seems nice. Is it possible to set one up where others can view it if I want them to?

I do it on a textfile too. Usually I will just set a folder for a potential new project and make some "ideas" textfile on it. As for ideas on existing projects I usually have a "todo" textfile inside that project. I add the date becuase older ideas might become garbage as the project evolves and takes unpredicted paths...

I find that if I can't remember a concept/idea/feature then it's probably not a good one. If I think of something and am about to get distracted I'll email myself a reminder.

One liners I write on an online 'to-do' list.

More complex ideas, I create a Google Document for, so I can edit it anywhere.

Sometimes I also write with pen and paper and file it away.

These are all different things though. What sort of organisation do you need? You can group things by project (in a directory, or a physical file) and that is probably 90% of the problem solved.

Quote:
Original post by Storyyeller
I sketch it on a piece of paper and then throw it away. Of course, I'm probably not the best example to copy.

Hahaha... this.

I generally try to keep to a physical paper notebook. I intend to use one per project but stuff always gets mixed up in there. I usually keep a 'to-do' list at the front, then often a rough ER style design, followed by poorly organised lists, sketches etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!