How do you keep up with your various ideas/etc?

Started by
41 comments, last by phresnel 14 years, 1 month ago
Typically, whenever I think of something, I just make a text document, with a different document for each different aspect (story would be separate from item list, etc). I was wondering if there's an easier way to do it as far as keeping things organized better.
Advertisement
I run a personal wiki on my computer.
I've been very happy with FreeMind.
I sketch it on a piece of paper and then throw it away. Of course, I'm probably not the best example to copy.

My final level designs usually have only a vague resemblance to the original concept since I do most of the designing by trial and error while play testing.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.
In my case, I always have ideas popping into my head about other projects, so I want to record them so I don't forget them.

But I'm looking for a more convenient way to do it.

A Personal wiki seems nice. Is it possible to set one up where others can view it if I want them to?
I do it on a textfile too. Usually I will just set a folder for a potential new project and make some "ideas" textfile on it. As for ideas on existing projects I usually have a "todo" textfile inside that project. I add the date becuase older ideas might become garbage as the project evolves and takes unpredicted paths...
I find that if I can't remember a concept/idea/feature then it's probably not a good one. If I think of something and am about to get distracted I'll email myself a reminder.
I'm assuming we're talking about game design "ideas." Moving.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

One liners I write on an online 'to-do' list.

More complex ideas, I create a Google Document for, so I can edit it anywhere.

Sometimes I also write with pen and paper and file it away.

These are all different things though. What sort of organisation do you need? You can group things by project (in a directory, or a physical file) and that is probably 90% of the problem solved.
Quote:Original post by Storyyeller
I sketch it on a piece of paper and then throw it away. Of course, I'm probably not the best example to copy.

Hahaha... this.

I generally try to keep to a physical paper notebook. I intend to use one per project but stuff always gets mixed up in there. I usually keep a 'to-do' list at the front, then often a rough ER style design, followed by poorly organised lists, sketches etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement