bug in OpenGL?

Started by
8 comments, last by core114 22 years, 8 months ago
when using vertex arrays, the stride value for glColorPointer seems to have NO EFFECT. all the color values are just taken as if the stride was 0. this is a problem as i was trying to have vertex and texture data in the same array. is this actually a bug? is there any way to actually set the stride value for the colorpointer?
Advertisement
I''m not sure of exactly what you''re doing, but if you think it''s a bug it would be in your video drivers not in OpenGL.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
OpenGL has no bugs... Only faulty users.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials
the problem is:

glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, sizeof(gl_array_data), (GLvoid *)(&draw_map_array[0].vertex[0]));
glColorPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, sizeof(gl_array_data), (GLvoid *)(&draw_map_array[0].color[0]));
glTexCoordPointer(2, GL_FLOAT, sizeof(gl_array_data), (GLvoid *)(&draw_map_array[0].texcoord[0]));

now if you look at them they all seem basicly the same.
however, the 3rd value for glColorPointer has NO effect whatsoever. the rest work fine.

i am using the standard .h and .lib files that come from opengl.org

i'm not a faulty user, if you must see more code...

struct gl_array_data
{
float vertex[3];
float color[3];
float texcoord[2];
};

gl_array_data draw_map_array[MAPX*2+16];

and yes i did enable the stuff, and the other two pointers work fine.

also, OpenGL does have known bugs.

Edited by - core114 on August 3, 2001 11:07:26 PM

Edited by - core114 on August 3, 2001 11:10:09 PM
Well, if you''re convinced it''s a bug (I''m not an expert on the stuff you''re using, so I can''t say if you''re using it incorrectly or anything off the top of my head) try to use it on someone else''s computer. The more different their machine is, the better.

do u have lighting enabled?
also does it work correctly when u dont use interleaved arrays?
No no; you ARE a faulty user. Now stop complaining.
i don''t have lighting enabled,
it does exactly the same thing when i use interleaved arrays.

on another computer, it worked exactly as it should...
perhaps i just have some awful opengl drivers

now this just leavs me wondering if there is a simple way to test if drivers do what they are supposed to, is there some utility to do test them?
Not that I know of. The only way I''ve found of testing the drivers is by trying your program on a computer with different ones (which normally implies a different video card, but not always).

There are different software packages that are used for OpenGL compliance testing to get the SGI ''fully OpenGL compliant'' certificates for OpenGL drivers. It would be rather interesting to get those, but I think they are SGI inhouse only.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement