Game Design Considerations & Trends

Started by
4 comments, last by Robert-Glen 14 years, 1 month ago
  The goal of this thread is to act as a quick reference for information and also ideas. Please reply with anything you wish to see added or any tips in regards to the layout. With the help of the community we can hopefully keep it up to date and have it immortalised as a sticky. Targeted Platform Personal Computers (PC, Browsers, Facebook) Consoles (Xbox360 & XBLA, Playstation3 & PSN, Wii & WiiWare) Smart Phones (iPhone) Camera Views Top down Side scrolling Isometric First person perspective Over the shoulder Third person perspective Genre Types Role playing game (RPG) Shooter Real time strategy (RTS) Turn based strategy Quick time events Puzzle solving Fighting Educational Revenue Models Single sale Subscription Microcredits Lead generating [Edited by - Robert-Glen on March 10, 2010 5:41:40 AM]
Advertisement
Sorry to only just start but I've been called away. Please reply with anything you think might help or be informative in general and I'll be sure to update as quickly as possible.
What exactly is the purpose here? To enumerate different aspects of games?
Basically yes. I've more then once read through a post and had an image in my head of how I see the game working only to find out after offering advice that what I imagined had nothing to do with the original poster's view. Not everyone uploads a design mock-up along with their posts.

I understand that a lot of games have their standard match up's e.g. an RTS game with an Isometric view but others aren’t as clear or obvious. I thought if there was a thread with a somewhat agreed upon use of terminology then we might be able to get better responses and help out there.

I thought that some categories might not need to be included, like the targeted platforms, since this is the design section but some things need to be considered depending on what system you develop for e.g. the iPhone having quiet a small visual area.
Quote:Original post by Robert-Glen
Basically yes. I've more then once read through a post and had an image in my head of how I see the game working only to find out after offering advice that what I imagined had nothing to do with the original poster's view.

True - several times I've seen a game described as a "shooter", for example, and had no idea what they actually meant in terms of camera/gameplay. However, I think this is often more to do with the poster's failure to give basic details about their idea than a problem with terminology.

Yeah the terminology isn't a major factor as long as a clear image can be painted for the other readers. I was hoping people who either had a game in design or partly made could look through the list and come up with some sort description that would accurately describe it. Maybe I need some example pictures and brief stereotypical points for each genre or something.

At least if someone goes I've got a side scrolling shooter you wouldn't be imagining a first person so when they talk about implementing cover mechanics or whatever your more likely to be on the same page.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement