looking for a engine that we can afford

Started by
10 comments, last by swiftcoder 14 years, 1 month ago
we are a small game development team that was recently working with quest 3d to create a turn based rpg game . and now we're looking for a better engine but something that we can afford any suggestions ?
Advertisement
You can have mine.[smile] I'll let you have it for free.[cool] I'm still developing it thought. I'm currently adding shader and particle support at the moment. The current list of features are, collision detection, joint animation, DirectInput, XAct and shadow volume.

It's total OOP design in C++ and is at a good point where you could jump in and add your game specific features and mold it into what you need.
The Torque engine is only $100 and has published an asston of games. This is probably your best choice in the indie market at the moment.

Unreal just released the UDK which should give you guys a lot of power. It's free for hobbyists, but I believe there are restrictions for selling at a profit.

Unity has just released a new product as well. I evaluated it for another project I was working on and their editor is pretty awesome. Some of their docs were opaque but perhaps they've cleaned it up now. It also has the benefit of being pretty vastly cross-platform: PC, iPhone, PS3 and I think 360. I don't remember the price but it was definitely affordable.

Good luck!

-me
i actually worked with udk and every one knows the unreal 3 is the best engine there is but the prices are sky high and they doesn't let anyone have it that easy
about unity pro , the price is about 100000$ and that's for a pretty big budget
but maybe torque is our best option thanks
Quote:Original post by al2ian
about unity pro , the price is about 100000$ and that's for a pretty big budget

hrm... I had thought there was a much more affordable option... My memory for those things is like a sieve tho [smile]

-me

i think it was affordable but when it was for mac only but now its like for every console and windows ,so ...
I also have the same engine design written in Java/OpenGL. You could effectively write your game so that it will run on Windows, Mac and Linux. Same features but this one uses OpenAL for sound. Because it's Java, it's about half the frame rate as the C++ version.
Quote:Original post by al2ian
i actually worked with udk and every one knows the unreal 3 is the best engine there is but the prices are sky high and they doesn't let anyone have it that easy
While Unreal itself is still expensive, the UDK is *free* to develop with, and costs $100 + 25% royalties if you decide to sell your game.
(source: http://www.udk.com/licensing)
Quote:about unity pro , the price is about 100000$ and that's for a pretty big budget
Unity Pro costs $1,200 per developer at the moment, and $1,500 per developer normally. Unity basic is *free*.
(source: https://store.unity3d.com/shop/)

Please refrain from posting blatant misinformation.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by Palidine
The Torque engine is only $100 and has published an asston of games. This is probably your best choice in the indie market at the moment.

Was, they're now pushing Torque 3D instead for $1000, no source code (IIRC).

I don't think they're still selling either the Torque or Torque SE engines, though they do still support those that bought it when they were available... either that, or they've hidden the product page for those really well.
ok sorry about that , but now i really need some information about unity does that mean with unity pro we can develop games for console too ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement