Jumping Shadowmap

Started by
3 comments, last by Geometrian 14 years ago
Hi, So, I've got a nice airplane flying over water, complete with reflections and standard shadowmapping. The water is represented as a simple quad, perturbed with a normalmap. Unfortunately, as the plane flies along, particularly as it gets farther from the origin, the shadowmap begins jumping around on the ground. It's not majorly jumping, but it is significant--perhaps 25 pixels on screen every second or so. I don't know what's causing this, though I suspect it might be a precision error (the plane is 1000.0 units square, could that have something to do with it?). Has anyone run into this before, and can anyone tell me how to fix it? Thanks, -G

[size="1"]And a Unix user said rm -rf *.* and all was null and void...|There's no place like 127.0.0.1|The Application "Programmer" has unexpectedly quit. An error of type A.M. has occurred.
[size="2"]

Advertisement
I'm not sure what you mean by jumping, could you upload a video to Youtube or something? If the aircraft is getting further away from the shadow reciever then maybe you are seeing the symptoms of one shadow map texel mapping to many terrain pixels.
">
should probably work.

[size="1"]And a Unix user said rm -rf *.* and all was null and void...|There's no place like 127.0.0.1|The Application "Programmer" has unexpectedly quit. An error of type A.M. has occurred.
[size="2"]

I would look into how the lights position is calculated. It's hard to tell from the video what might be wrong. I see your problem (though the water is very dark). Are you sure you are moving the light parallel to the camera? Maybe you could try and render the light's position and see if it jumps too.
I am certain that the light's position does not jump. Also, the shadowmap appears the same when I examine it in an on-screen window.
Thanks,

[size="2"]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement