The World repost

Started by
4 comments, last by Portugaz D Ace 14 years, 1 month ago
I had the idea to make The World from the .hack games. This is only theoretical right now, but I hope to make it a reality. But back to the point. I am thinking of ideas for this cross-century tech type online RPG. What I mean by cross-century tech is technology that comes from different time periods. It includes magic, swords, monsters(such as goblins and wyverns and the like), steam technology(such as steam bikes and steam guns), and other types of stuff. I was hoping to find some tips from the professionals on how to design this game, and possibly some ideas on game content. The content I'm mainly looking for is armor, weapons(twin blades, broadswords, scythes, and such), and some possible quests. If anyone can help, that would be very appreciated. Thank you.
scientists explain the world with numbers, artists explain the world with images, programmers explain the world with games.
Advertisement

What you're asking for is an encyclopedia of military equipment throughout human history, and a primer in how to design quests for a game that will consist largely of quests. It's far too broad for our responses to be particularly useful to your design, and if you've come to a discussion board with such a larval idea, I fear you may not even know what it is you're trying to achieve.

Often, people will confuse video game design and fan fiction. If there's a story you want to tell, or an atmosphere you want to encapsulate, writing a short story or poem will often be a more appropriate way to express it. Game design is fraught with a lot of mundane chores, ranging from designing graphics to balancing weapon types, that a writer can totally ignore. I love me some Heinlein, but trying to make a video game world in which the events of Glory Road might take place would be an exercise in frustration and would no doubt reveal several glaring flaws in the world as presented in the book.

With that out of the way, I recommend that you include chainmail, thick silk shirts, leather pants, a voltaic projector (lightning gun), a spear that can either be used for melee combat or thrown as a projectile and a glove that has spikes on it. Make the players go on quests to collect parts that can then be brought back to a craftsman or headquarters and used to upgrade their weapons and armor. Maybe players could choose a pet that can be used in combat, but requires care and feeding to unlock its true potential, and a set of quests that'll strengthen your emotional bond with it and unleash its latent powers.
I like everything you posted as ideas for this game, but please note that the highest technology level in this game is steam technology. So the lightning gun would not really fit in. Thank you for the ideas though.
scientists explain the world with numbers, artists explain the world with images, programmers explain the world with games.
Hello???? How come no one else is posting?????????
Your post contains:
  1. The genre of your game.

2. A brief outline of the setting for your game.

3. An overly broad question looking for tips on designing a game.

4. A request for ideas for weapons, armour, etc.

I would suggest that your post just isn't of interest to most people, and that because the one real question you included is overly broad it's hard for anyone to try to help you without spending a lot of time on it. Note that Iron Chef Carnage also considered your question to be to broad. To get more responses you should probably try to give all the relevant background information and then ask one or two fairly specific questions.

If we look for example at this recent post by Wavinator:
Quote:from topic Ways To Represent How Something Works
Without forcing the player to watch in detail, how would you visually convey this sort of process: Traders bring food to the city, which is given first to the rich, with the poor getting whatever's left; but the food supply is cut off and people are starting to riot, which is weakening the power of the local king.

I'm looking for some way of presenting knowledge a character would have which would be different from place to place. The information would tell a player how to get something done (such as where to buy illegal arms), who's in charge and where they get their power from, and how to break something up or change it (like representing that people are oppressed by a dictator or addicted to a drug).

I was thinking of representing things visually with icons in a manner similar to those old diagrams of the water cycle that show moisture turning into rain. Bubbles would connect icons of items to characters, and different styles of arrows would link them with more abstract concepts like "morale" or "fear." Bubbles would get filled in as you talk to people or use character skills with a result being that sandbox style goals would be visible at any time (because you could see "how the world worked.")

If I could come up with some sort of proper representation I'm thinking that I can visually represent an abstraction of different problems, situations or even cultures in game world I'm working on.

Any thoughts?
The post begins with a single fairly specific question, and then expands it to give more details. The poster then provides his own current idea, and finishes up by asking for feedback.

If you look at the topic "Stuck - Design a CCG without element of luck/chance!" you'll see it also provides plenty of detail, asks a specific (rather than broad) question and is set out in a way that is easy to follow.

As for tips on how to design your game, check out:
Lost Garden
Sloperama (good starting points include #8, #10, #2 and #13)
Obscure.co.uk articles
The Designer's Notebook
These are all from experienced industry professionals.

Hope that helps. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thank you for the links and I will work hard on rewriting my post so that the questions are more specific than broad.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement