Currently best free email?

Started by
29 comments, last by swiftcoder 14 years, 1 month ago
Vote for GMail.
I have 3 gmx accounts, all of them are flooded with spam, and I don't hand the adresses out too often. I even created a test account in the past, just to see if my suspicions are correct, and they are: GMX is receiving spam without you using the account or giving the address away. I still use it for unimportant stuff, so when I don't feel like reading an email and they ask if I got it I can say "must have gotten into the spam folder" :3 in addition to that, the spam filter filters my best friend out. In fact, that's why I tried out GMail at first.

GMail however never gave me a single spam email, with spam filter deactivated. I use it with Mozilla Thunderbird. The incomings of the GMail accounts usually tell me that something important or interesting is going on, everything else is low priority.

I usually don't like google, but GMail is fantastic!
Advertisement
You don't like the fact it folds up previous messages above the current message?

I LOVE that feature. I also like the "Update conversation" notification you get when someone send you a reply to the message you're already replying to.

p.s.

Okey-dokey
---When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission!
Add another vote for GMail.

I think its by far the cleanest email system i've used. Also now that I have a new HTC Eris I use it even more for managing contact information.

I'm a huge fan of how it groups all the related messages together. This makes it easy for me to organize my email into 'labels' when the message chain is complete (for example a recent email chain with my tax guy).

OK
Quote:Original post by gd2010
I wonder what would be currently best free email choice if you want reliable,stable,large storage mail for next few years?

I recently opened GMAIL and I must say I really hate it - it's such a mess....

So there is only one really important feature that matter to you:
- It needs to have a web-based UI that you personally like
Quote:Original post by Antheus
I wonder what would be currently best free email choice if you want reliable,stable,large storage mail for next few years?

I recently opened GMAIL and I must say I really hate it - it's such a mess....

So there is only one really important feature that matter to you:
- It needs to have a web-based UI that you personally like

Ha-ha ,but no

I would describe it as- I want my mails to keep clear as they arrive and I do not want Google to decide for me what to gather together,summarize,update and etc... . I wouldn't complain if there was an option to turn these things off...
Yeah, the whole quoting thing is the only feature that I've seen people complain about. (I should get out more often, maybe?)

If you're quoting something in an email, your cursor starts out above the quotation, which is highly unusual. It isn't a problem within gmail's UI, because they fold up the quotes automatically when it's (2?) levels deep, so it's there if you need it, but unobtrusive. If it were all above, however, and you had a mail client that pulled email from gmail, you'd likely get a shitton of useless verbiage in the quote all before the intended message.

(I've noticed that people who tend to "forward it like it's hot" have the whole "follow the breadcrumbs of the past 50 instances of the email" game going on. Gross.)

I've also noticed that people who participate heavily on mailing lists and are purists don't like it, because they're usually going to respond to specific points in the previous post directly, and want to do so under each specific quote. But it's not really the feature so much as the person writing the mail. It doesn't matter which way the feature works if the person doesn't care for style guidelines of the environment.

Anyway, I've never had any issues with gmail beyond the rare instance of "Oh it went to spam", or "Oh this is spam", which are, last I checked, way worse with competitors.
I read somewhere that google recently made all contacts and most actively communicated with e-mails public and then immediately made it private again? There was some controversy with google mining your emails and letting the world know through Buzz (apparently you also were automatically a buzz user just by using gmail).

I don't want to sound anti-google, but that kind of worries me. Obviously its been resolved, but the fact that they would even do something like that is troubling.

By the way: if what I said is wrong, sorry. I read some news article a few weeks ago about this. I can find the source if people didnt hear anything about this.
I would describe it as- I want my mails to keep clear as they arrive and I do not want Google to decide for me what to gather together,summarize,update and etc... . I wouldn't complain if there was an option to turn these things off...

Go here: Google Mail Suggestions and mark Organization --> Conversation View Changes as suggested. Hopefully they'll implement it soon for ya.
Have you guys tried out GMail?

oh, ok.
E-mail sucks.

">A better alternative.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement