question about api's and xna

Started by
4 comments, last by james Andresakis 14 years, 1 month ago
Ive been messing with xna on and off for the last year and most of the stuff Ive done is strait out of text books. Im curious to know if any of you more experienced people out there could help me find any api's which work with xna without much headaches or frustration.......I know that part comes with the territory of programming games :) but any point in the right direction would be much appreciated. Im really looking for api's that make handling the physics and math part a lot easier.
Advertisement
what do you mean "api's which work with xna"?!? XNA is basically an API/Framework. There's math functionality in .NET already, so you'll have to be more specific. For physics there JigLibX

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Thanks for the response :) I knew I wasn't being specific enough. I suppose I'm looking for any api's that work together with xna or c#. I want to be able to plug things int to handle anything that would be a headache to program otherwise so I'm looking for anything and I mean anything like libraries, api's, plug ins, tie ins or whatever they are called. I need experience using anything and everything that works with c# and xna because my end goal is to get out of school and work for a game company developing games for the xbox live arcade, zune, or any windows7 mobile device. I looked briefly online but using search engines to scroll through 10 million links is something I do all day for school work and my search for c# and xna compatible api's or plug ins yielded nothing usefull. I've only been programming for 2 years so I have extremely limited experience but I'm trying to build a game in xna so I can see how it plays on a console rather than being limited to my pc......I also hate dealing with how c++ seems to always make things harder to do for some one like myself with less experience.
Well the libraries available to you depend on which platforms you're targeting. On the PC, there's a ton of libraries since you can use wrappers for native libraries (like PhysX, for instance). On the 360 you can't use native libraries, so you're mostly limited to libraries developed specifically for XNA on the 360 (like JigLibX).
Quote:Original post by james Andresakis
Im really looking for api's that make handling the physics and math part a lot easier.

The Math part is nice and simple in XNA already, or at least as simple as it's going to get, I'm not sure what more help you can get there, is there something specific you have problems with?

As for Physics, MJP has pretty much covered off the best two options, depending on what you're going for (PhysX.Net and JigLibX).

XNA pretty much provides everything else for you to the same standard as any other library will.

I suppose i have a hard time with most math and physics in general. Being that Ive never created my own game I'm not sure if this sounds right but what I want is some kind of library or something that has built in functions that would allow me to simply tie them to my ingame characters. For instance something that had a pre existing jump function or a pre existing object collison detection that I could just use and set the parameters for. Possibly something similar to parts of the Delta3d engine where the classes have built in functionality thats already built into it. The less I have to do myself in code the more time I can put into actually making the game instead of banging my head on my kitchen counter everytime i get an error. Dont get me wrong Id love to pick up the skills to be an excellent programmer but Im smart enough to know that other people have created dedicated api's and libraries that handle all kinds of things that I could never write on my own so why fight with my own lack of knowledge when I could just use something that would handle what I dont understand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement