Tetris advice

Started by
4 comments, last by Le0 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi all, I've been over here on gamedev a long time ago, just noticed I registered in 2002 omg... anyway I've given game dev a bit of a long pause all these years, since then I've finished my degree and am now working in a software dev company, we mainly code very low level c stuff that goes on our own hardware and so it is kinda very far away from game dev. BUT I'd like to get back into it, and to do so I decided to start making the good old tetris again using C++. It has been a few years since my last attempt so I guess plenty of new stuff's around. Last time I think I was using Directx if memory serves, but I'm wondering maybe if I should go with SDL? Basically my question is, if you'd start tetris today what lib would you use and language? Hope you guys can point me in the right direction!
"The bible is probably the most genocidal book ever written!" Noam Chomsky
Advertisement
I used C with openGL and glut (for setting up openGL and windowing) and made a basic tetris in a few hours.
C++ is overkill for a tetris IMHO, but if you want to learn C++, then do it with that.

But I'm not a programmer.
If I wanted to start a Tetris game today my first choice of language and library would be Python and pyglet -- I've not yet tried pyglet but have heard good things and have been meaning to give it a go when I can spare the time -- PyGame would be my next choice of library as one I've already used.

The other option I would seriously consider is targetting the Flash player using FlashDevelop (or if you can afford it the excellent tools provided by Adobe).

You could also consider C#/XNA - they're an excellent choice to work with, and the only reason I wouldn't consider them myself is that I haven't yet had the pleasure of trying out C#.

If you're planning to stick with C++ you may want to look into SFML as an alternative to SDL; a new version of SDL is apparently in the works, but in the meantime SFML is a more modern, OOP-styled library with a growing community and good documentation.

Hope that helps! [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

thanks a lot guys, very quick replies ;)

Yes I'm aware that making a tetris in C++ might not be the wisest choice but I'm making it to get back into game programming and since I'm already familiar with it I'd like to give it a go.

I might try C# in another project as I've done some a long time ago ;)

I'm going to look into SFML thanks a lot
I second SFML. Been using it for a pong clone and have been loving it.
Thanks, I'm using SFML and it's very good

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement