Looking for a book to learn game programming C++

Started by
7 comments, last by otreum 14 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I'm looking for a book to learn game programming in C++ but I already know my self a little around the language but I'm more into the JAVA language (I make for example a network Uno game). In C++ I made some basics games, like pong. (^^) And I would like to know what book is the correct one to help me really starting developing games (2d or 3d). The book can be in English or French. Best regards, rXp>!<
Advertisement
Moving you to For Beginners.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This is real easy. Go to www.amazon.com and do a search for "learn C++" and look at the list that comes up. Based on your personal preferences, narrow down the book by the user reviews. Then buy the book.
Yes I think I'm gonna take :
Beginning Game Programming by Jonathan S. Harbour.
It's a book that has great review and it take it from the beginning of game programming and not programming if you see what I'm saying.
Do you think it is a good book ?

Best regards,

rXp>!<
It's a good place to get started for sure. Make sure you read it carefully, understand every bit what the author is talking about, and complete the exercises at the end of each chapter. I have read through that book a couple times and it's pretty good.

Once you have gone through it, I recommend reading and going through some of the tutorials here: http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

There's various concepts in there that I have found very very valuable to know about C++. You may or may not be familiar with them, just thought it wouldnt hurt to mention.
Thank you a lot for the answer, the book is bought and on his way ;)

I will check out your tutorials too.

Thanks again =D
I am also just starting that book. I have also read Game Programming All In One by that same author and that one taught me a lot as far as getting my feet wet in game programming.
Game Coding Complete is a great choice if you're fairly comfortable with C++ programming.
There is actually a section on this website that has "books".

Up at the top of the page, go to "Resources" > "Books".

Right now i'm currently reading through "Beginning C++ through game programming (2nd edition)" and it's fantastic to read through.
I also have 3 other books:
- C++ Primer (i'll be reading that next)
- Accelerated C++ (Kinda hard to read with the huge blocks of text it has).
- Code Complete 2nd edition (Not necessary, but I feel I should probably learn what's in it).

While I AM reading through that first book, which is written in a way that is interesting and simple, I do use my other 3 books to look for answers to any questions I might have. And if I don't understand something still, I come to these forums, or go to another forum and ask a question. Alot, if not all experienced programmers are friendly people, who are willing to help, because they understand what it's like, and how difficult it is to learn something as complex as a programming language.

So if you were just looking for one book to read, I would recommend:
"Beginning C++ through game programming".
It uses examples on every excercise, it explains each example line by line, and some of the games you make in this book make you think about how they would apply to a AAA title or so on.
I know that other books use things like "how to make a cola machine" or "how to make a calculator", which is fine, but if you want to do GAME programming, it kinda gets boring when you're not actually making games, and it can be a little difficult to see how making a calculator or vending machine code would apply to game code.
At the end of each chapter in this book, it has a Q and A which is helpful if you want a quick run down of everything you should have learnt in the chapter. And anything you may not know, the Q and A might have answers for you.
It also gives you some questions which you can answer yourself or just skip if you really want to (I find it's good to try and answer them the best you can, even if nobody is reviewing your answers).
And finally, it gives you some excercises to do, such as rewriting one of the chapter's programs using something you'd learnt in that same chapter or a previous chapter, and then ask you "What is wrong with this code" and it would give an example of some bad code.

One last thing is the book is not HUGE. It's about 400 pages long, where as C++ Primer is about 800 pages long. And I believe there are other books out there that are just as big again.

C++ primer appears to do this aswell, however C++ primer doesn't seem to be oriented around games.

That's my verdict anyway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement