Extreme Carnage - shoot cars, buy weapons, plant defense turrets

Started by
3 comments, last by popsoftheyear 14 years ago
This game was developped from scratch in C++ during 2 years of variably intense or lazy usage of my free time. It uses only SDL and SDL_mixer. the concept: you drive a green car in a procedural terrain, quite large, with randomly spawning ennemies (red cars) that you have to shoot. With the shooting you will win money, with which you can buy new weapons or plant automatic firing towers. Your score is how much money you make. This becomes quite heavy destruction when you build 200 turrets and you fire into the last rush of ennemies with your quadruple fast gun. All the artworks were done with Gimp. two screenshots: download: for windows: xtremecarnage.zip for linux: xtremecarnage.tar.bz2 Thanks for your feedback ! [Edited by - Lightness1024 on March 12, 2010 4:22:37 AM]
Advertisement
Hi,

I like the concept! I believe the actual game is a bit roughly made though,
so here are a few suggestions/comments:

1) What's with the random car spawns? Make them spawn outside the user range, it's not so nice to see a shooting car spawn right in front of you.

2) The weapons are cool, but could use a lot more balancing. Also make it so turrets can take damage, now they are really overpowered.

3) The cars are disappearing in the wall, why? They even go off the entities list, instead of just making their X/Y inverted. This makes it very easy to win the game, just sit in a corner.

4) Cool soundtrack! Where did you get it?

5) ESC + ESC quits when in-game, very annoying! When you're in a confirm selection screen, and you press ESC, you usually just go back to the game instead of quitting!

6) The explosive sprites don't go away, giving a very dirty feel after a while. Make them disappear after a timer or maintain a max amount of them internally.

7) Game over? Is that all you got when you survive the final wave (which is very easy) ? Make it better and harder! Make new levels! Now I'm already done with the game and I can safely delete it from my hard-drive, whereas otherwise I would play it more.

Hope you can do something with that, I also wrote a review on my website.

Nick
Awesome game. I like that you've provided the source code, too. I can learn a few things from this. :)

Biggest issue I had with the game was that at first, I didn't understand how the shop menu worked at all, and didn't understand what item did... I also couldn't pause the game to buy stuff, so while I was trying to figure it out, I was getting shot. I'd suggest making it easier to identify which items you can buy.

You both have definitely true statements.
Its all of this that makes polishing of a game quite a painstaking task.
You have to make it understandable in the beginning, but yet difficult at the end. And all the parameters (weapon price, enemy flow, weapon power, enemy power, turret fire rate...) this is a LOT, and balancing the whole is somewhat like a 2 equations system with 30 unknowns variable...
thanks for the feedback, its very appreciated
Yeah it's the whole "once you've finished 90% you have to finish the other 90%" deal.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement