Sign in to follow this  

HLSL Texture Samplers

This topic is 2835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know what value gets put into the alpha channel if you try sample a texture that doesn't have an alpha channel? Eg. if I have a bitmap loaded in and I sample it in the shader with: float4 tex = tex2D(TextureSampler, TextureCoords) What gets put into tex.a? 0? I ask because I want a good way to determine if in a specular map, the power/gloss value has been put into the alpha channel, and if not, use a default value.

I'm not sure, but I think this is one of the areas where no predictable behavior is guaranteed (like behavior when setting a texture to null). It might be a more robust option to convert your textures to use an alpha channel with the default value. That way you don't need extra code for special cases, which as I got told is always a good thing [smile]

To my knowledge, the behaviour is indeed specified. The default result of a texture access is (0, 0, 0, 1). So if you access a one-channel texture, you'll get (r, 0, 0, 1) as a result.

You might want to reread it in the documentation, though.

Thanks. The documentation doesn't really specify what is returned.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee418491(VS.85).aspx

I guess I'll just have to test it out and see what happens.

This topic is 2835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.