(GULP!) mixing OpenGL and DirectDraw

Started by
19 comments, last by Rocket05 22 years, 8 months ago
okay, i know there are alot of people out there that dont think it can be done, but i know it can. i know so because people have been able to use OpenGL and allegro (which uses ddraw) together, so i researched it on MSDN and i think i have a way to do it. OpenGL can be setup to render simply to a device context and just use PFD_DRAW_TO_BITMAP instead of PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW. the only problem is, i dont know how to setup that device context to hold a bitmap. MSDN''s method just doesnt make sense. anyone know how? and feel free to tell me if this wont work before i go through the headaches of trying to make it work if it wont.
"I never let schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
Advertisement
Why bother? What do you need DirectDraw for, can''t you just use OpenGL?
And I don''t believe it''s a very good idea either. It would probably work on some cards, and not work on others, depending on the driver implementation.

If all you want is a simple (and portable) way of setting up a window for OpenGL rendering use GLUT or SDL.
Don''t try it, its a lost cause.

You might be able to make it work on some video cards but it will fail on others. And any method you figure out to make it work on more than one card is bound to cause all sorts of inefficiencies that totally negate any benefits. If you want to use OpenGL, use it for 2D drawing as well, there''s tons of tutorials online that explain how to use OpenGL to do 2D blitting using ortho projected quads. (Stay away from the drawPixel interface, its generally slow as hell on most PC OpenGL drivers).

I have no experience with Allegro, but I''d guess (assuming the people who wrote it aren''t crazy) that when its being used with OpenGL it doesn''t actually use DirectDraw, but falls back to GDI or using OpenGL to do its 2D operations. I know this is what SDL does.

Any headaches caused by trying to mix OpenGL and DirectDraw are your own problem, you''ve been warned!
Amen to that !!!

Some that live deserve to die and some that are dead deserve to live
Sephiroth
To select a bitmap to an device context go like this:

HBITMAP hBitmap = NULL;
HDC hBitmapDC = CreateCompatibleDC(NULL);

hBitmap = (HBITMAP)LoadImage(NULL, "bitmap.bmp", IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0, LR_LOADFROMFILE|LR_CREATEDIBSECTION);

SelectObject(hBitmapDC, hBitmap);
The reason not to use DDraw + OpenGL is because some drivers do it internally. You will conflict, it will complain.

See the developer FAQ at OpenGL.org for more information (also available on GameDev).

In conclusion, don''t do it!

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter
PortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGL
~~~Cheers!Brett PorterPortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGLCommunity Service Announcement: Read How to ask questions the smart way before posting!
okay okay, i knew i was gonna get some negative feedback. however, i know it can be done. your right, there COULD be some problems mixing the two, but if it can be done in two applications (running an OpenGL app in one window and a DDraw App in another), why cant it be done in the same program? btw, when i talked about using WAGL (WinAllegroGL), it does not fallback on all opengl, allegro still uses ddraw.

heres how i plan to do it:

1. Create (in memory, not from loading an image) to an HDC so that opengl can render to it (<-- dont know how to do this)

2. Setup opengl same way as for a window, except use the created HDC instead of using GetDC() for the window''s HDC

3. when choosing a pixel format, use the flags PFD_DRAW_TO_BITMAP | PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL | PFD_SUPPORT_GDI (do NOT use double buffering or window)

4. use opengl to draw to that bitmap, then when i want the image opengl has drawn, flip the back buffer to a GDI surface, and BitBlt the opengl HDC to the back buffer of ddraw

im pretty sure it will work, albiet slow, and i have no idea if some video cards will be able to handle it while others cant. so what. i wanna see what happens

can anybody tell me how to setup the HDC so opengl can render to it? not load an image to an HDC, im saying actually create it at runtime
"I never let schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain
yes it can be done, but so what? it''s a pain in the ass. you can use OpenGL for 2D stuff just as good as DDraw if that''s the problem.

How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Lots of things could be done but shouldn''t. You''d be much better off spending your time trying to invent something new, or learn more useful programming techniques than you would trying to kludge together two APIs that aren''t meant to work together.

Why spend time making something work when the best you can hope for is an unsupported kludge that will run much slower than normal and will likely have unforseen problems with some systems?

And, lastly, the source code for WAGL seems to be available (did a quick search on google), why don''t you just download it and see how they do it first hand?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement