Sign in to follow this  
stella1016

OpenGL Unrecognized OpenGL version

stella1016    122
I am using qt (+opengl) to implement a program. I need to test it on different OS. It has problem in Fedora 12 and Ubuntu 9.10. The terminal shows "Unrecognized OpenGL version", and the display is frozen. I checked the opengl version on different OS. The OSs which are working have lower opengl version. for example: OpenSUSE 10.3 32bit: server glx version string: 1.2 client glx version string: 1.4 OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.1) The OS which doesn't work: Ubuntu 9.10 32bit: server glx version string: 1.2 client glx version string: 1.4 OpenGL version string: 2.1 ( Mesa 7.6) OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 Fedora 12 32bit: server glx version string: 1.2 client glx version string: 1.4 OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7-devel OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 I am thinking about the problem might be: higher opengl version doesn't support my program. Am I right? Does anyone know the solution? Thanks in advance.

stella1016    122
I found some hint in OpenGL website:
--------------
23.040 How can I code for different versions of OpenGL?

Because a feature or extension is available on the OpenGL development environment you use for building your app, it doesn't mean it will be available for use on your end user's system. Your code must avoid making feature or extension calls when those features and extensions aren't available.

When your program initializes, it must query the OpenGL library for information on the OpenGL version and available extensions, and surround version- and extension-specific code with the appropriate conditionals based on the results of that query. For example:

#include <stdlib.h> ... int gl12Supported; gl12Supported = atof(glGetString(GL_VERSION)) >= 1.2; ... if (gl12Supported) { // Use OpenGL 1.2 functionality }
--------------

What is the difference between Opengl version 1.4 and 2.1??

The main difference between them is that OpenGL 2.1 has buffer objects and shaders and is much more up-to-date. It is what most of the hardware in the wild supports, too.

It is fully backwards compatible with version 1.4 unlike the more recent versions, such as 3.3 and 4.0. Those more recent versions add features that are only found in the more recent GPUs and drop functionality which is not supported in hardware any more.
The 3.0 and 3.1 versions are "in between" as they still do support old features, but consider them deprecated.

stella1016    122
But still, I have problem with my application.

I compiled my application in OpenSUSE 10.3, and executed it in Ubuntu 9.10. The problem comes only in Ubuntu 9.10, and the difference I could find is opengl version. If opengl 2.1 is backwards compatible, I don't know why the problem comes....

HuntsMan    368
That message means Qt couldn't parse the version string from OpenGL (glGetString(GL_VERSION)), probably because it's malformed, and that would be a driver bug.

You can check how that message is triggered here

Kambiz    758
Are the appropriate drivers installed? What is the vendor string? Mesa appearing in the output you have posted makes me believe you are using the software rasterizer. I use Qt for my OpenGL applications on Ubuntu 9.4 and 9.10 and I had no problems with the NVidia drivers installed.

Qt seems to expects the version string to look like for example "1.4" but not like "1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.1)". NVidia and ATI drivers actually return in the expected format.

stella1016    122
OK, sth I missed to mention.
I am running my OS in VM.

But I tested 'real' OS of Ubuntu 9.10 as well. There I got more strange result: one account is with OpenGL version 1.4 (my app works), another account with 2.1 (my app not working). The hardware is the same. How could this happen? Install additional libs?

Kambiz    758
Quote:
Original post by stella1016
With the NVidia drivers installed, my collegue's machine also works.

So the driver is a must for my app? What if on VM?

VMs have limited support for hardware accelerated graphics, VirtualBox for example has some DX/GL drivers for Windows (as guest OS).
OpenGL is an API to make use of the GPU, when no hardware acceleration is available why would you want to use OpenGL? Well, if needed there is Mesa, a software implementation (much slower than hardware). You could try making Qt parse the GL version that is returned by Mesa.

stella1016    122
But why this differs for different version of Ubuntu (all based on VM)? Other OS doesn't have the real hardware to support, but they worked, and this Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't.

I am thinking about some init error of my app....

Kambiz    758
Quote:
But why this differs for different version of Ubuntu (all based on VM)?

Maybe different versions of mesa. How does the version string look like when it works?

V-man    813
If QT has some issue, then update it or don't use it. I use SDL myself and I check the GL version myself. Gl 1.4 didn't have vbo. Then vbo was added to 1.5. 2.0 got shaders. 2.1 got pbo. I am citing that from memory. Check the docs if you want.

Why your code doesn't work on some ubuntu with 2.1... I don't know. You have the source code.

EngineCoder    246
Quote:
But I tested 'real' OS of Ubuntu 9.10 as well. There I got more strange result: one account is with OpenGL version 1.4 (my app works), another account with 2.1

Make sure both accounts are in "video" group.

stella1016    122
Quote:
Original post by EngineCoder
Quote:
But I tested 'real' OS of Ubuntu 9.10 as well. There I got more strange result: one account is with OpenGL version 1.4 (my app works), another account with 2.1

Make sure both accounts are in "video" group.

Sorry that it take long time until I reply for you who kindly tried to help.

What do you mean "video" group? How to check this out?

stella1016    122
Here I talk more details about my app.

My application uses the concept of QT modules, which means it can load detected *.dll files automatically.

I have two modules among them, module1 using QGraphicsView (no direct gl function), another module2 using QGLWidget (direct use of gl function). A flag in module1 is read from a file to decide whether using OpenGL to accelerate rendering (not sure, done by other people). My module2 is the module having problem.

In normal OS system, no matter the flag is 0 or 1, display has no problem.

In Ubuntu 9.10, if the flag is 0, module1 is working, module2 not; if the flag is 1, module1 is not working, module2 works.

There is only on command differency in module1 for the flag on or off:
if(b_opengl_monitor)
{
this->setViewport(new QGLWidget());
}

"this" inherits class QGraphicsView.

Now I am confused, why this flag effects my module2???