Architecture of an entire game.

Started by
26 comments, last by TiPiou 14 years, 1 month ago
Status, maintenance, debugging..
Advertisement
That's what telnet and/or an embedded web server are for :)
Server GUI is extremely useful for admin and debugging. You can have multiple logs up at once (combat, chat, error etc) and settings and statistics menus. A chat interface so the admin can talk to players is nice. Real-time player data with all relevant info, so stuff like kick/ban by ip is simply a click. Sure its all doable by console, but in a much less user friendly manner. =)
more importantly... why does the server need "physics"....

shouldnt the server just compare entities and update based on that?

a server needing to run its own physics simulation doesnt sound right.

------------------------------

redwoodpixel.com

Quote:Original post by AverageJoeSSU

Because you pretty much have to assume the clients as being unreliable, else you're promoting a high probibility of false data. It'd be too easy to hack the system if you client data was always assumed to be correct and safe. The server needs to be the final autority on what is happening, and the only way it can do that is by running stuff like physics itself.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

Quote:Original post by EJH
Server GUI is extremely useful for admin and debugging. You can have multiple logs up at once (combat, chat, error etc) and settings and statistics menus. A chat interface so the admin can talk to players is nice. Real-time player data with all relevant info, so stuff like kick/ban by ip is simply a click. Sure its all doable by console, but in a much less user friendly manner. =)

We have different ideas in our minds about what a server should do :) With any sufficiently complex server I imagine that you will want to run it on a headless *nix box and take advantage of the full processing power, not incur the overhead of running a window manager on top of that (not to mention the GUI). It might even be a distributed system and not one single box. The quoted requirements are better handled via a separate admin client - this allows you to be independent of the physical location of the server, more than one admin can work at the same time, and the server is not wasting processing time and memory on running a graphical environment.

shouldnt the server just compare entities and update based on that?

a server needing to run its own physics simulation doesnt sound right.

You're not going to let the connected clients run the show, will you? They all need to be synced, and they all might be trying to cheat.
Somewhat offtopic , what did u use to make those charts TiPiou ? They look nice.

-ddn
Quote:Original post by bzroom
The first last only project i used with signals and slots was a build nightmare. I dont know how much of that was attributed to the signals and slots, i'd say not much, but it definitely left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm not a Qt addict, just used some of their tools recently and reading a bit more about some others made me believe that this could prove handy. But definitely things with slots and the like would require more thought.

Besides signals and slots, my main point on your topic is that you can't make a useful engine without knowing how to make a game first. The high level architecture which doesn't mention any gameplay mechanics leads me to believe that you dont.

There's a high chance indeed that I don't.
But I would fiercely argue against the fact that any diagram not showing something would lead anyone to believe anything ^^

but if you like pain then by all means proceed

:angel:

Quote:Original post by EJH
The client probably needs no threading at all [...] unless [...] or a seamless world streaming scenario.

you named it :)

About what you said for the server side, well :
Like the client, it has to perform seamless decompression of terrain, then there is physics too, as it was mentioned by another poster (yes, on the server side), which I may want to keep tiny at first, but who knows how heavy this could become ? And there is also an A-Life simulation to run on the whole world.

But anyway, I'm in the process of re-thinking the threading approach on both sides in the light of what phantom pointed out about tasks and stuff.

Quote:Original post by Rattrap
Because you pretty much have to assume the clients as being unreliable [...] The server needs to be the final autority on what is happening

Precisely. And then some :
The amount of data going through the network (which is the main bottleneck, as was pointed out by EJH) needs to be kept small. I believe that in NeREIDS, the server side, in order to keep on with what's happening, needs to run a simulation of everything (from physics to RPG rules) based on a very lightweight representation of the player's intents, in order to know if the chair that was thrown by A towards B's head will twirl and present leg-first before hitting his skull. The same kind of algorithms have to be present on the client side, so that they can also extrapolate from lightweight representations of events.

[Edit] @EJH and lightbringer, about a server GUI :
I envisaged some kind of austere admin GUI on the server, yes... but this is waaaaay below a lot of hot stuff on my list of "to-be-addressed" issues ^^.

Quote:Original post by ddn3
Somewhat offtopic , what did u use to make those charts TiPiou ?

MS Visio mostly.

[Edited by - TiPiou on March 17, 2010 1:01:34 PM]

Follow NeREIDS development on my blog : fa-nacht.rmyzen.net/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement