Sign in to follow this  
JamesCobras

Licensing (Comercial)

JamesCobras    112
hi guys, i'm trying to develop a program with i would like the possibility to sell. But the following things i don't want to do: Be forced to produce source code on demand. Be forced to distribute binaries with source. I'm using OpenGl, SDL and RakNet. SDL is fine, i just have to use .dll and i don't have to distribute source (i think). I think OpenGL have no licensing rules so i can do what i want. BUT if i use a library or code from a GNU licensed project is there anyway i can use it with out breaking the GNU and being forced to release source? JamesCobras

SimonForsman    7642
Quote:
Original post by JamesCobras
hi guys, i'm trying to develop a program with i would like the possibility to sell.

But the following things i don't want to do:

Be forced to produce source code on demand.
Be forced to distribute binaries with source.

I'm using OpenGl, SDL and RakNet.

SDL is fine, i just have to use .dll and i don't have to distribute source (i think).

I think OpenGL have no licensing rules so i can do what i want.

BUT if i use a library or code from a GNU licensed project is there anyway i can use it with out breaking the GNU and being forced to release source?

JamesCobras

If you use any GPL licensed code you have to release source code on demand to those you distribute binaries to,
LGPL which is used by SDL requires you to provide source for the version of the library you're using and allow the end users to update/modify/replace that library (Normally this is done by using dynamic linking)

frob    44904
Quote:
Original post by JamesCobras
hi guys, i'm trying to develop a program with i would like the possibility to sell.

BUT if i use a library or code from a GNU licensed project is there anyway i can use it with out breaking the GNU and being forced to release source?

You can sell GPL software. There is nothing wrong with that, and it is frequently done.

You don't even need to provide source code on the same distribution, if you don't want to. That is also frequently done.

If you distribute binaries that incorporate GPL software, the GPL says you must either provide the source or provide a written offer to distribute the source code later.

Before you go that route, you should TALK WITH A LAWYER who has experience with the GPL. Even if you try to keep it separate, there are many different ways that library code can sneak in to your program, such as through .h file inclusion. A good lawyer familiar with the technical issues can walk you through it.