Game Programmer and/or Animator

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 1 month ago
I need guidance! I was wondering if someone could help me with this. Currently, I have a little experience in C++ and was wondering if I should learn to animate with Blender3D, as it's free, as well program stuff like games and the like. Or, the real question is do I necessarily need to know programming and animation?
Advertisement
Learning to make test meshes and animations with a modelling package is always useful. To try out new things, to debug problems in art pipeline and so on.

To be very good in art and in programming, well that's not easy and usually in any company there are a few guys like that. They work developing tools as technical directors, scripting more than writing game engines or gameplay.

For a better guidance, I think we should know what you like to do most. :)
Quote:Original post by Questionable
I need guidance! I was wondering if someone could help me with this. Currently, I have a little experience in C++ and was wondering if I should learn to animate with Blender3D, as it's free, as well program stuff like games and the like. Or, the real question is do I necessarily need to know programming and animation?

It depends.

You don't need hiking shoes if you're going walking on the beach. But you do need them if you're hiking in the mountains or desert.

You need to be able to program and animate if you want to make a game with animation all by yourself, but you don't necessarily need to be able to do either of those things if you're going to make a game with collaborators who can do the programming and animation while you perform a different role.

Why are you asking if you need to know programming and animation? We can't answer you since we don't know what your goal is. It sounds like you're trying to break into the game industry -- so this is moved.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement