Sign in to follow this  

Survey: Will the program be useful?

This topic is 2829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was commisioned to make a project at university. I'd like to make software for easy creating of Vertex and Fragment programs. I'm going to make loading of some geometry and textures. Then user will write his own vertex and pixel programs on assembler and apply them to the geometry and texture, then in Real Time user will have an opportunity to watch his effect. I have some questions Do you create shaders on assembler? Do you know the analog of program, which I described? (Supporting ASM Shaders)? Will the program be useful? Sorry for my English))

Quote:
Do you create shaders on assembler?

Not anymore, used to when the number of instruction was limited or the performance was more of a problem than today, mostly before shader model 3.

Quote:
Do you know the analog of program, which I described? (Supporting ASM Shaders)?

Yes ... RenderMonkey by ATI or FX Composer by NVidia are the best known. Not sure if you can edit assembly shaders directly in FX Composer tho, but RenderMonkey supports it. I also saw a simple tool (or sample) similar to what you described in one of the version of the DirectX SDK a while ago. There is probably a bunch of them, but these two do the job nicely for me.

Won't be useful in the slightest, sorry. Not even old cycle counters like me do shaders in asm anymore as the hlsl compiler will make a better job of it - partly at least because the assembler you're writing isn't really assembler, it's just byte code.

Most opcode level instructions for the graphics chips look very different and are generally a lot lower level than what is loosely called shader assembler.

So I'd say don't waste your time. It won't get used as a tool by anyone else and if you're doing it for the learning experience, you're going to learn something that's already dead.

If you switch to making something that works with hlsl (or glsl or both) then that might get some mileage, but you'll need to go a long way to beat RenderMonkey which is available for free download from ATI.

Sign in to follow this