Sign in to follow this  
steveworks

C# 2005- 2008 Is there a major difference.

steveworks    146
I looking to learn more about C# and I found a good set of video tutorials on the MSDN website. I am wondering if they are still mostly up to date as they were designed for Visual C# 2005.

MaulingMonkey    1728
Some features were added to the core language (C#3 introduced e.g. the var keyword and LINQ), but very little has been outright outdated. Some functions got deprecated in .NET 3.5, but those usually come with extremely helpful warnings that point you at what you should be using instead. You wouldn't be starting from scratch in 2008 or anything.

BrickInTheWall    150
Well C# 3.0 came with VS2008, and some additions where made there. In addition to those mentioned by the above poster are also lambda expressions, auto implemented properties, object and collection initializers etc. VS2010 will have C# 4.0, which will feature duck typing for example. I can't wait.

steveworks    146
Thanks for the link DevFred.

I also think there might be some confusion. I use C# 3.0 and VS2008. I just found a group of video tutorials that teach C# with VS2005.

I was looking for information on whether or not VS2005 information was outdated.

mutex    1111
The videos should be fine. Subsequent versions of C# and .NET tend to be additive with the number of outdated things quite small.