C# 2005- 2008 Is there a major difference.

Started by
8 comments, last by mutex 14 years, 1 month ago
I looking to learn more about C# and I found a good set of video tutorials on the MSDN website. I am wondering if they are still mostly up to date as they were designed for Visual C# 2005.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
Advertisement
Some features were added to the core language (C#3 introduced e.g. the var keyword and LINQ), but very little has been outright outdated. Some functions got deprecated in .NET 3.5, but those usually come with extremely helpful warnings that point you at what you should be using instead. You wouldn't be starting from scratch in 2008 or anything.
Well C# 3.0 came with VS2008, and some additions where made there. In addition to those mentioned by the above poster are also lambda expressions, auto implemented properties, object and collection initializers etc. VS2010 will have C# 4.0, which will feature duck typing for example. I can't wait.
Fate fell short this time your smile fades in the summer.
I understand that. Though I am curious as to what duck typing is.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck... it's a duck.

I think you'll find this in python, but I'm a bit wooly in that language
------------------------------Great Little War Game
Quote:Original post by steveworks
I understand that. Though I am curious as to what duck typing is.

video
I heard there have been significant upgrades to the garbage collector. I cannot confirm this as I heard it only in passing.
IMO, LINQ alone is reason enough to move to 3.0 and later.
Thanks for the link DevFred.

I also think there might be some confusion. I use C# 3.0 and VS2008. I just found a group of video tutorials that teach C# with VS2005.

I was looking for information on whether or not VS2005 information was outdated.
The videos should be fine. Subsequent versions of C# and .NET tend to be additive with the number of outdated things quite small.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement