Sign in to follow this  
panzer8888

How do you move the players around in a football game

panzer8888    100
Hello, I was looking at programming a small football game, i was able to complete the manual part of selecting the player depending on the ball position, I am lost trying to make the "dumb" computer, select the appropriate player to hit the ball. Are there any good patterns around for such problems, of tracking the objects dynamically and then taking suitable actions on it. Thanks

jyk    2094
Are you talking about American football, or soccer?

If it's the latter, you're in luck, because in the book 'Programming Game AI by Example' there's a full chapter devoted to creating a simple soccer simulation. (The concepts presented in the book would be applicable to other types of sports simulations as well, I would think.)

Diceydawg    108
I would recommend you invest some time studying basic AI concepts. There are many different ways you may solve an AI problem. One of the biggest challenge's in AI is defining the problem and the set of goal states (if applicable). Depending on your view this may vary. For example one way to go about this may simply "be have closest player go to ball and pass to next closet teammate". You should think about whether or not the way we play soccer and the way a computer may play soccer is the same thing.

A couple of things I would keep in mind is :
number of teammates VS opposing players in the area
is an opposing team player closer to the ball then you?

I would view this problem as an Episodic problem rather than continuous meaning once you make a decision you should stick with it rather than keep on making new decisions every so-so. That way the AI would be realistic VS a supposively perfect AI.