Sign in to follow this  
jbb

DX11 DirectX 10 or 11 for DX9 programmers

jbb    471
I've made quite a few "demo" style programs for directx9/c++ and know it reasonable well, and like it. But I know that DX9 is now old so perhaps I ought to move to directx10 or 11 for a slightly bigger project I want to do for myself. So I have a few questions :- 1) Is there any reason to use DX10 still, or should I skip that now and just learn and use DX11? Are vista machines likely to have DX11 installed by now? 2) From what I've seen of DX11 it looks ugly to code and harder to use than DX9, but I'm willing to admit that's probably just that I'm not so familiar with it. What are other people's opinions? 3) Are there any resources for learning DX11 for someone who knows DX9 well? Online, or books would be fine. I'm mostly just finding reference material at the moment which isn't very good for learning the basics, or tutorials which assume you are learning it with no previous knowledge. I'd like something which is aimed at someone who knows DX9 reasonable well already. 4) Or should I just stick to DX9? It does everything I think I need for my project and has the advantage that i can still targeted XP if needed. I just sort of feel it's time to move on... I know a lot of this is subjective but would welcome any opinions :)

ET3D    810
I'd say there's not much need for DX10 these days, but you'll find more programs and tutorials, so you might want to start there. Once you're familiar with DX10, moving to 11 shouldn't prove difficult. Start with the SDK's tutorials, which should give you an idea how to do things in DX10. Try converting a small project of yours. I think that'd be a good start.

For serious projects, if DX9 is enough for you, and you're familiar with it, I think sticking to it is safe. However, DX11 does have a lot going for it, and I'm sure it'd be fun for you to try the new stuff.

Hazard_X    118
I'd directly go for DX11. DX10 is 100% obsolete since the release of DX11 and XP machines are also decreasing rather rapidly. According to the latest Steam Hardware Survey already 60% of the gaming PCs got Win Vista or Win7 (and thus support for DX11).

Dunge    405
Quote:
Original post by Hazard_X
I'd directly go for DX11. DX10 is 100% obsolete since the release of DX11 and XP machines are also decreasing rather rapidly. According to the latest Steam Hardware Survey already 60% of the gaming PCs got Win Vista or Win7 (and thus support for DX11).

Most video cards active this day are nvidia 8000 and 9000 series, and don't support it.

adt7    751
Quote:
Original post by Dunge
Quote:
Original post by Hazard_X

Most video cards active this day are nvidia 8000 and 9000 series, and don't support it.

They support it via. feature levels.

jbb    471
Thanks all, I think it's time to learn DX11 then based on what people said.

Yes, I'm familer with shaders in DX9 so I suppose it's just a case of learning a new API and one or two concepts.

Jason Z    6434
If you are interested in learning DX11, the API structure is very similar to DX10, so even resources for DX10 can be helpful. There is a link in my signature to a DX10 online book that should be able to get you up and running quickly with a great many details.

Also, if you are looking for some code for DX11 to get you started, I have uploaded my entire DX11 engine to codeplex (link is also available below). There are quite a few samples in there now, so you should be able to see how to do most of the new features for DX11. And of course, if you get stuck you can always post here too [grin].

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By gsc
      Hi! I am trying to implement simple SSAO postprocess. The main source of my knowledge on this topic is that awesome tutorial.
      But unfortunately something doesn't work... And after a few long hours I need some help. Here is my hlsl shader:
      float3 randVec = _noise * 2.0f - 1.0f; // noise: vec: {[0;1], [0;1], 0} float3 tangent = normalize(randVec - normalVS * dot(randVec, normalVS)); float3 bitangent = cross(tangent, normalVS); float3x3 TBN = float3x3(tangent, bitangent, normalVS); float occlusion = 0.0; for (int i = 0; i < kernelSize; ++i) { float3 samplePos = samples[i].xyz; // samples: {[-1;1], [-1;1], [0;1]} samplePos = mul(samplePos, TBN); samplePos = positionVS.xyz + samplePos * ssaoRadius; float4 offset = float4(samplePos, 1.0f); offset = mul(offset, projectionMatrix); offset.xy /= offset.w; offset.y = -offset.y; offset.xy = offset.xy * 0.5f + 0.5f; float sampleDepth = tex_4.Sample(textureSampler, offset.xy).a; sampleDepth = vsPosFromDepth(sampleDepth, input.uv).z; const float threshold = 0.025f; float rangeCheck = abs(positionVS.z - sampleDepth) < ssaoRadius ? 1.0 : 0.0; occlusion += (sampleDepth <= samplePos.z + threshold ? 1.0 : 0.0) * rangeCheck; } occlusion = saturate(1 - (occlusion / kernelSize)); And current result: http://imgur.com/UX2X1fc
      I will really appreciate for any advice!
    • By isu diss
       I'm trying to code Rayleigh part of Nishita's model (Display Method of the Sky Color Taking into Account Multiple Scattering). I get black screen no colors. Can anyone find the issue for me?

#define InnerRadius 6320000 #define OutterRadius 6420000 #define PI 3.141592653 #define Isteps 20 #define Ksteps 10 static float3 RayleighCoeffs = float3(6.55e-6, 1.73e-5, 2.30e-5); RWTexture2D<float4> SkyColors : register (u0); cbuffer CSCONSTANTBUF : register( b0 ) { float fHeight; float3 vSunDir; } float Density(float Height) { return exp(-Height/8340); } float RaySphereIntersection(float3 RayOrigin, float3 RayDirection, float3 SphereOrigin, float Radius) { float t1, t0; float3 L = SphereOrigin - RayOrigin; float tCA = dot(L, RayDirection); if (tCA < 0) return -1; float lenL = length(L); float D2 = (lenL*lenL) - (tCA*tCA); float Radius2 = (Radius*Radius); if (D2<=Radius2) { float tHC = sqrt(Radius2 - D2); t0 = tCA-tHC; t1 = tCA+tHC; } else return -1; return t1; } float RayleighPhaseFunction(float cosTheta) { return ((3/(16*PI))*(1+cosTheta*cosTheta)); } float OpticalDepth(float3 StartPosition, float3 EndPosition) { float3 Direction = normalize(EndPosition - StartPosition); float RayLength = RaySphereIntersection(StartPosition, Direction, float3(0, 0, 0), OutterRadius); float SampleLength = RayLength / Isteps; float3 tmpPos = StartPosition + 0.5 * SampleLength * Direction; float tmp; for (int i=0; i<Isteps; i++) { tmp += Density(length(tmpPos)-InnerRadius); tmpPos += SampleLength * Direction; } return tmp*SampleLength; } static float fExposure = -2; float3 HDR( float3 LDR) { return 1.0f - exp( fExposure * LDR ); } [numthreads(32, 32, 1)] //disptach 8, 8, 1 it's 256 by 256 image void ComputeSky(uint3 DTID : SV_DispatchThreadID) { float X = ((2 * DTID.x) / 255) - 1; float Y = 1 - ((2 * DTID.y) / 255); float r = sqrt(((X*X)+(Y*Y))); float Theta = r * (PI); float Phi = atan2(Y, X); static float3 Eye = float3(0, 10, 0); float ViewOD = 0, SunOD = 0, tmpDensity = 0; float3 Attenuation = 0, tmp = 0, Irgb = 0; //if (r<=1) { float3 ViewDir = normalize(float3(sin(Theta)*cos(Phi), cos(Theta),sin(Theta)*sin(Phi) )); float ViewRayLength = RaySphereIntersection(Eye, ViewDir, float3(0, 0, 0), OutterRadius); float SampleLength = ViewRayLength / Ksteps; //vSunDir = normalize(vSunDir); float cosTheta = dot(normalize(vSunDir), ViewDir); float3 tmpPos = Eye + 0.5 * SampleLength * ViewDir; for(int k=0; k<Ksteps; k++) { float SunRayLength = RaySphereIntersection(tmpPos, vSunDir, float3(0, 0, 0), OutterRadius); float3 TopAtmosphere = tmpPos + SunRayLength*vSunDir; ViewOD = OpticalDepth(Eye, tmpPos); SunOD = OpticalDepth(tmpPos, TopAtmosphere); tmpDensity = Density(length(tmpPos)-InnerRadius); Attenuation = exp(-RayleighCoeffs*(ViewOD+SunOD)); tmp += tmpDensity*Attenuation; tmpPos += SampleLength * ViewDir; } Irgb = RayleighCoeffs*RayleighPhaseFunction(cosTheta)*tmp*SampleLength; SkyColors[DTID.xy] = float4(Irgb, 1); } }  
    • By amadeus12
      I made my obj parser
      and It also calculate tagent space for normalmap.
      it seems calculation is wrong..
      any good suggestion for this?
      I can't upload my pics so I link my question.
      https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/147199/how-to-debug-calculating-tangent-space
      and I uploaded my code here

ObjLoader.cpp
      ObjLoader.h
    • By Alessandro Pozzer
      Hi guys, 

I dont know if this is the right section, but I did not know where to post this. 
      I am implementing a day night cycle on my game engine and I was wondering if there was a nice way to interpolate properly between warm colors, such as orange (sunset) and dark blue (night) color. I am using HSL format.
      Thank  you.
    • By thefoxbard
      I am aiming to learn Windows Forms with the purpose of creating some game-related tools, but since I know absolutely nothing about Windows Forms yet, I wonder:
      Is it possible to render a Direct3D 11 viewport inside a Windows Form Application? I see a lot of game editors that have a region of the window reserved for displaying and manipulating a 3D or 2D scene. That's what I am aiming for.
      Otherwise, would you suggest another library to create a GUI for game-related tools?

EDIT:
      I've found a tutorial here in gamedev that shows a solution:
      Though it's for D3D9, I'm not sure if it would work for D3D11?

• Popular Now