DirectX 10 or 11 for DX9 programmers

Started by
7 comments, last by jbb 14 years, 1 month ago
I've made quite a few "demo" style programs for directx9/c++ and know it reasonable well, and like it. But I know that DX9 is now old so perhaps I ought to move to directx10 or 11 for a slightly bigger project I want to do for myself. So I have a few questions :- 1) Is there any reason to use DX10 still, or should I skip that now and just learn and use DX11? Are vista machines likely to have DX11 installed by now? 2) From what I've seen of DX11 it looks ugly to code and harder to use than DX9, but I'm willing to admit that's probably just that I'm not so familiar with it. What are other people's opinions? 3) Are there any resources for learning DX11 for someone who knows DX9 well? Online, or books would be fine. I'm mostly just finding reference material at the moment which isn't very good for learning the basics, or tutorials which assume you are learning it with no previous knowledge. I'd like something which is aimed at someone who knows DX9 reasonable well already. 4) Or should I just stick to DX9? It does everything I think I need for my project and has the advantage that i can still targeted XP if needed. I just sort of feel it's time to move on... I know a lot of this is subjective but would welcome any opinions :)
Advertisement
I'd say there's not much need for DX10 these days, but you'll find more programs and tutorials, so you might want to start there. Once you're familiar with DX10, moving to 11 shouldn't prove difficult. Start with the SDK's tutorials, which should give you an idea how to do things in DX10. Try converting a small project of yours. I think that'd be a good start.

For serious projects, if DX9 is enough for you, and you're familiar with it, I think sticking to it is safe. However, DX11 does have a lot going for it, and I'm sure it'd be fun for you to try the new stuff.
Do you use shaders in your DX9 projects?
If not, then I would recommend learning shaders first while you're still comfortable with DX9, because you *have* to use shaders once you move to DX10/11.
I'd directly go for DX11. DX10 is 100% obsolete since the release of DX11 and XP machines are also decreasing rather rapidly. According to the latest Steam Hardware Survey already 60% of the gaming PCs got Win Vista or Win7 (and thus support for DX11).
Quote:Original post by Hazard_X
I'd directly go for DX11. DX10 is 100% obsolete since the release of DX11 and XP machines are also decreasing rather rapidly. According to the latest Steam Hardware Survey already 60% of the gaming PCs got Win Vista or Win7 (and thus support for DX11).

Most video cards active this day are nvidia 8000 and 9000 series, and don't support it.
Quote:Original post by Dunge
Quote:Original post by Hazard_X

Most video cards active this day are nvidia 8000 and 9000 series, and don't support it.

They support it via. feature levels.
Thanks all, I think it's time to learn DX11 then based on what people said.

Yes, I'm familer with shaders in DX9 so I suppose it's just a case of learning a new API and one or two concepts.

If you are interested in learning DX11, the API structure is very similar to DX10, so even resources for DX10 can be helpful. There is a link in my signature to a DX10 online book that should be able to get you up and running quickly with a great many details.

Also, if you are looking for some code for DX11 to get you started, I have uploaded my entire DX11 engine to codeplex (link is also available below). There are quite a few samples in there now, so you should be able to see how to do most of the new features for DX11. And of course, if you get stuck you can always post here too [grin].
Thanks, the book link in particular is very good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement