Sign in to follow this  
Runicode

Introduction to AI

Can anyone recommend a good introductory book or resource on Artificial Intelligence to get me started? I am a complete beginner and would like to start studying AI. Thanks.

Do you want to study AI or Game AI? These are quite different things... My quick-and-dirty definitions:
* AI consist of trying to get computers to be good at things that computer don't do well [yet].
* Game AI is about programming behavior for the non-playing characters in a game.

Assuming it's Game AI you are interested in, Mat Buckland's book is a good place to start.

Thank you for the feedback on Game AI. I'll take a look at it. How about a reference for AI in general? Any books you recommend? I'm curious what the real difference between Game AI and non Game AI is. Are there many principles that cannot be applied to game AI?

Quote:
Original post by Runicode
Thank you for the feedback on Game AI. I'll take a look at it. How about a reference for AI in general? Any books you recommend?

The classic reference is "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach". It's thick, but it's one of the few books that gives a coherent structure to the field.

Quote:
I'm curious what the real difference between Game AI and non Game AI is. Are there many principles that cannot be applied to game AI?

They deal with very different problems. For instance, image recognition and classification are important parts of AI that are just not very relevant to decide if the bad guy will start shooting at the player or go take cover first. Also, in Game AI one often wants to create the illusion of intelligence, which would not be good enough for AI.

Things that are common to both are decision making, reasoning under uncertainty, planning...

Quote:
Original post by alvaro
Quote:
Original post by Runicode
Thank you for the feedback on Game AI. I'll take a look at it. How about a reference for AI in general? Any books you recommend?

The classic reference is "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach". It's thick, but it's one of the few books that gives a coherent structure to the field.

Quote:
I'm curious what the real difference between Game AI and non Game AI is. Are there many principles that cannot be applied to game AI?

They deal with very different problems. For instance, image recognition and classification are important parts of AI that are just not very relevant to decide if the bad guy will start shooting at the player or go take cover first. Also, in Game AI one often wants to create the illusion of intelligence, which would not be good enough for AI.

Things that are common to both are decision making, reasoning under uncertainty, planning...

I used that book for College and it's a great book, if you want to understand the general field of AI. Knowing general AI is a big plus if you want to do some really kewl stuff. Imagine making a FF type of game where the enemy learns from your actions. That would be pretty wicked. If you have the time then I recommend that book alot even though it is pretty thick and a little math intensitve (Discrete Math).