Sign in to follow this  
Beyond_Repair

Engine interface for poker?

Is there something like the Universal Chess Interface but for Texas Hold Em? Trying to google anything related to poker is like searching for a needle in an elephant's ass... I can develop my own interface specification otherwise, but that's unnecessary work if someone already did it (which is very probable).

Thanks, seems to be suitable enough.

Doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same kind of AI development community for poker as for chess, but I guess that's explained by that poker is less about hard computational science and more about finding a good evaluation function that can take psychological aspects into account.

Quote:
Original post by Beyond_Repair
Doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same kind of AI development community for poker as for chess, but I guess that's explained by that poker is less about hard computational science and more about finding a good evaluation function that can take psychological aspects into account.

I'm not sure that's the reason. Yes, opponent modeling (how to exploit deficiencies in my opponents' playing styles) plays an important role in poker, but even finding the Nash equilibrium for the game (the strategy that cannot be exploited) is far from trivial, and that is a hard computational science problem.

Perhaps the reason poker gets less attention is that it's harder to tackle...

I'm not sure at what level state of the art poker bots play, got any info on that? In a client I tried bots play better than a lot of humans because they have "patience" and are able to perform basic division unlike many humans ;-) (such that betting 500/3000 at preflop with crap cards is not a good idea, whereas it's insignificant at 500/100000).

Yeah, how wildly strategies vary depending on the opponents involved seems to be a big trouble...

It sounds like your tests didn't involve very good human players... My understanding is that bots are very good at heads-up limit Hold'em but not as good as top players in most other circumstances. But perhaps my info is outdated...

Of course, humans playing free poker are likely to be the bottom of the pyramid. ;-)

I didn't say all humans suck, it was just an observation, and due to knowing it's flaw I asked for a better sample population.