Sign in to follow this  
aaronjbaptiste

Problems with my Event handling

aaronjbaptiste    100
Hi all, I have not long got my event system working, it's based on the article: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/effeventcpp/ However I have hit a brick wall in relation to hasEventListener and removeEventListener features. Basically any object can extend the EventDispatcher class which gives it the ability to store a multimap of <string eventType> -> <member function>. When you call the method disaptchEvent(Event e) on this object, it does a find in the multi map for all listeners listening for Event e and calls their respective member functions. So far so good. The problem is when you try to query that multi map or remove from it. I want to be able to do something like hasEventListener("mouseOver", PanelClass, &PanelClass::handleEvent), which returns true if that specific element exists within the multi map (both key AND value pair). I also want to do removeEentListener(...same params) which removes a specific key value pair. Ok, so why not iterate through the list (or use find) and check the key and value is equal to parameters..... This is what I thought I would do. However the value is stored as a wrapped up HandlerFunctionBase object, which only knows how to do execute(). There is no getMemberFunction() or getInstanceObject() and I cant add these because the whole point of it being a wrapper is to wrap the specific object types away. Ok enough abstract stuff, ill post the code for a clearer view: Note: Ive removed destructor, constructors, includes and header guards. The commented out code is how I thought about achieving this. However HandlerFunctionBase has no getMemberFunction()... EventDispatcher.h
class EventDispatcher
{
	public:
		template <typename ObjectT, typename EventT>
		void addEventListener(std::string a_EventType, ObjectT* a_Instance, void (ObjectT::*a_pMemberFunction)(const EventT*))
		{
			m_Listeners.insert(std::pair<std::string,HandlerFunctionBase*>(a_EventType,new MemberFunctionHandler<ObjectT, const EventT>(a_Instance, a_pMemberFunction)));
		}

void removeEventListener(std::string a_EventType, ObjectT* a_Instance, void (ObjectT::*a_pMemberFunction)(const EventT*))
		{
			/*std::pair<std::multimap<std::string, HandlerFunctionBase*>::const_iterator, std::multimap<std::string, HandlerFunctionBase*>::const_iterator> bound = m_Listeners.equal_range(a_EventType);
			std::multimap<std::string, HandlerFunctionBase*>::const_iterator it;

for (it=bound.first; it!=bound.second; ++it)
			{
				if((*it).second->getMemberFunction() == a_pMemberFunction)
				{
					m_Listeners.erase(it);
					bound = m_Listeners.equal_range(a_EventType);
				}
			}*/
		}

bool hasEventListener(std::string a_EventType, ObjectT* a_Instance, void (ObjectT::*a_pMemberFunction)(const EventT*))
		{
			bool hasListener = false;
			/*std::pair<std::multimap<std::string, HandlerFunctionBase*>::const_iterator, std::multimap<std::string, HandlerFunctionBase*>::const_iterator> bound = m_Listeners.equal_range(a_EventType);

{
				if((*it).second->getMemberFunction() == a_pMemberFunction)
				{
					hasListener = true;
					break;
				}
			}*/

return hasListener;
		}

virtual void dispatchEvent(Event* a_Event);

private:
		std::multimap<std::string, HandlerFunctionBase*> m_Listeners;
};

EventDispatcher.cpp

void EventDispatcher::dispatchEvent(Event* a_Event)
{

std::string eventType = a_Event->getType();
	std::pair<std::multimap<std::string, HandlerFunctionBase*>::const_iterator, std::multimap<std::string, HandlerFunctionBase*>::const_iterator> bound = m_Listeners.equal_range(eventType);

{
		(*it).second->execute(a_Event);
		bound = m_Listeners.equal_range(eventType);
	}
}

HandlerFunctionBase.h
class HandlerFunctionBase
{
	public:

void execute(const Event* a_Event) 
		{
			call(a_Event);
		}
	private:
		virtual void call(const Event* a_Event) = 0;
};

MemberFunctionHandler.h
class MemberFunctionHandler : public HandlerFunctionBase
{
	public:
		typedef void (ObjectT::*MemberFunction)(const EventT*);

MemberFunctionHandler(ObjectT* a_Instance, MemberFunction a_MemberFunction): 
		m_Instance(a_Instance), m_MemberFunction(a_MemberFunction) {};

void call(const Event* a_Event)
		{
			(m_Instance->*m_MemberFunction)(static_cast<EventT*>(a_Event));
		}

private:
		ObjectT* m_Instance;
		MemberFunction m_MemberFunction;
};

Should I just dynamic cast the HandlerFunctionBase to MemberFunctionHandler and add the getMemberFunction() to that? Or is there a better solution? Also feel free to critique the code/style/my life in general. Thanks! Aaron

aaronjbaptiste    100
No ideas?

Am I going about this the wrong way?

A solution that doesn't involve casting could be to use covariants. So in the base class I could add:

HandlerFunctionBase.h

virtual HandlerFunctionBase* getFunctionHandler() = 0;

MemberFunctionHandler.h

virtual MemberFunctionHandler* getFunctionHandler() {return this;}
MemberFunction getMemberFunction() {return m_MemberFunction;}

So to get the wrapped up member function I could use:

MemberFunctionHandler* mfh = (*it).second->getMemberFunctionHandler();

Is covariants ok to use in this situation? Or should I go with dynamic_cast? Or does anybody want to step up to the plate and lay down a better solution?

Thanks

Aaron

aaronjbaptiste    100
The above didn't work out too well, because of the templates things started getting a bit messy.

So ive got it working using dynamic_cast:

MemberFunctionHandler<ObjectT, const EventT>* mfh = dynamic_cast<MemberFunctionHandler<ObjectT, const EventT>*>((*it).second);

Its only called when querying for an event listener or removing one, I dont think that would be very often so I'm ok with the performance loss. Is there any other reason I shouldn't be doing the dynamic_cast? Could I possibly make that a static_cast instead?

Feel free to comment on the design

Thanks