Game Engine Export

Started by
4 comments, last by chapter78 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I'm not sure this is the right forum to post this, but I'm starting to work on a game engine using c++ and opengl and I woud like to export it as a dll. How the best way to do that (in vstudio 2008)? Thank you, Rosália
Rosália G. Schneiderhttp://rosaliaschneider.wordpress.com/
Advertisement
Set the project type to DLL in the project options. You'll also need to start using declspec(dllexport) or build a export definition file. For future reference, an excellent place for documentation about using Visual Studio is MSDN. For example, you can find this by typing "creating a DLL in visual studio" in the search box.

Why do you want to do this? It can be more trouble than it is worth.
Hi,

I did take a look on MSDN, but I was wondering wheter a Class Library would fit better than a Win32 DLL.

I want to do it because I'm using this "game engine" in many projects, and I believe this is a way to make it more organized. Also, it is something I'll have to learn one day, than why not now? :)

I'll take a look at the link you provided, thank you,
Rosália
Rosália G. Schneiderhttp://rosaliaschneider.wordpress.com/
Quote:
I want to do it because I'm using this "game engine" in many projects, and I believe this is a way to make it more organized

A static library will work just as well, and be far easier to deal with.
Quote:Original post by Rosalia
Hi,

I'm not sure this is the right forum to post this, but I'm starting to work on a game engine using c++ and opengl and I woud like to export it as a dll.

How the best way to do that (in vstudio 2008)?

Thank you,
Rosália

I agree with jpetrie a static library is the way to go for what you want, I've never made a static library but here is how to export a basic function with a dynamic library:

extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) float add(float a, float b){	return a + b;}

extern "C" tells the compiler to export the function names without the signature data since C++ function names are mangled, to use c++ functions you would need to know their mangled names which are basically random hash that different compilers use to represent the signature information.

__declspec(dllexport) exports the function from the DLL, there is not much else to it.

Personally for my engine I use lua scripting language but my goals are a little bit different than yours.

I'm not sure if that will help you but I'm bored right now and thought I would try to make the learning process a little bit easier for you.
If you are going the DLL route then what SteveDeFacto said is correct. Rather than exporting a whole heap of functions, you might want to expose a single function that returns a structure which contains function pointers to the rest of the functionality. This is what older game engines such as Quake (pre-3) and Half-Life do to expose inter-module functionality. On a side note, it is also often this specific technique that cheaters target to gain access to engine functionality.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement