C++: Operator overloading the == operator.

Started by
4 comments, last by taz0010 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi guys, I've been playing around with a FileName class. What it does or why it's there is another topic, but I want to be able to compare two of them. So I got this overload:

bool operator == (const FileName &name);
And that works. But as soon as I introduce another overload:

operator const char *() const;
The == operator doesn't get called anymore. It seems to use the const char one instead and just compare pointers. Is there a way around this, other than to obviously remove the const char operator? Doesn't std::string do this? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
This is why implict cast operations are considered dangerous. I suspect what is happening is you have an implicit constructor taking a const char pointer, and you are doing this:
FileName foo = getSomeFileName();if(foo == "foo.file"){  // ...}

Before, the foo.file was converted to a foo instance and the comparison performed, now the foo is implicitly cast to a char pointer and the pointers compared. That, or your non-member operator==() means that the compiler won't try to convert the left hand into a FileName instance.

Consider why std::string lacks an implicit cast to char pointer.
Quote:Original post by rip-off
This is why implict cast operations are considered dangerous. I suspect what is happening is you have an implicit constructor taking a const char pointer, and you are doing this:
FileName foo = getSomeFileName();if(foo == "foo.file"){  // ...}

Consider why std::string lacks an implicit cast to char pointer.

Still, I was hoping the == operator would be used before the casts operators.. :(

Implicit cast as in coercion? I actually was under the impression std::string had one, but obviously that was wrong. That answers my question, then. Thank you rip-off!
Possibly related:
bool operator == (const FileName &name);
Should be:
bool operator == (const FileName &name) const;
That wasn't it. Must be a combination of the implicit cast and some constructor because I can't reproduce it with this class either:

class TestClass{public:	bool operator == (const char *bla)	{		return true;	}	operator const char * ()	{		return 0;	}};
It might be calling the constructor implicitly

class FileName{public:	FileName(const char* name){		cout << "Constructor called";	};	bool operator==(const FileName& rhs){		cout << "Equality operator called";		return true;	}	};int main(){	FileName f = "foo";	f == "bar";}

The first line in main() calls the constructor implicitly
The second line tries to compare f to "bar", and it does so by implicitly constructing "bar" into a FileName object and then calling the == operator.

Now have a look at this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1384007/conversion-constructor-vs-conversion-operator-precedence

Does this explain the behavior you're getting?

Edit: I get a compiler error when I add a cast operator to const char*, as the call is ambiguous. Adding the explicit keyword to the constructor solves the problem as then the compiler can only interpret f == "bar" as a char pointer comparison.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement