Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrevorGdCh

About 3d level creation --

TrevorGdCh    122
Hello all -- Has anyone ever created their own levels/level designer from scratch? I''ve looked at a few 3D engines already, and their interface and/or bugs makes me want to hurl ... Worldcraft looks like the most reasonable and will work for editing Quake stuff, but then what do you do with a quake.map if you''re using your own engine? Is there an easy way to utilize .map files with your own code? Anyone have a solution to this, or point me in the right direction?? Many thanks!!! And when you''''re done, go shoot yourself ...

zedzeek    528
i have, have u looked at GTKradiant it exports q3a bsp''s which are pretty easy to read theres a lot of info on the net about it

oglman    122
I just use a 2D thing where you lay down different ''parts'' on a floor and you can shift up and down floors. It is like the editor for Time Splitters for PS2 if you''ve played that and its kinds of like the THPS2 one except in ortho. It is really easy to write and can be ported to any type of file easily too.

Open mouth, insert foot

TrevorGdCh    122

Hi:

Thanks for your replies --

I''m seriously considering GTKradiant. Possibly worldcraft, also.

I like the idea of a 2d floor editor ... Do you just store your level as a list of vertexes (sp), a linked list, or what? Because I guess the trick is to figure out which faces/tiles need to be drawn -- maybe you could do that simply based on the "tiles" distance from the player. Is that easy to implement?

I''m just wondering -- should I start with a 2d toy then worry about using GTKradiant?

Sincerely

And when you''''re done, go shoot yourself ...

FatalXC    122
For my engine I use Q3Radiant, it is easy to use, although it does have a few bugs, they really aren''t that bad. The .map files it spits out are your standard .map file format, with a few different things specific to Q3A thrown in.

Go to http://www.uio.no/~stefanha/ for a really good WorldCraft .map file tutorial, this is what I based my compiler on, except I rewrote the code and altered it for Q3Radiant.

Hope that helps,

FatalXC

TrevorGdCh    122

Thanks for the link, Fatal --

You kick @$$!!! I printed out the tutorial there right away!

Sincerely

Hey oglman --

care to show some screens? Is the 2D "thing" working ok? It kinda sounds like a height-mapped field to me, in a way ... maybe like a terrain editor? It could be worth making something like that, say for "outdoor" stuff -- just an idea ...

And when you''''re done, go shoot yourself ...