SFML

Started by
10 comments, last by Zakwayda 14 years, 1 month ago
I've looked at their website and searched for it a bit but I couldn't find an answer. Does SFML support Direct3D (like SDL)? Thanks.
Advertisement
You're not supposed to need to know. The point of a library like that is that you don't have to mess with either DirectX or OpenGL or the X Window system or whatever Mac's API is. You just use SFML, and the library takes care of doing it on all the different platforms.

For what it's worth, its Windows implementation probably uses Direct3D under the hood. Why do you want to know?

Edit: Never mind, do you mean like this for Direct3D? It doesn't look like they have that. In fact, this thread is the top result if you google "sfml supports direct3d".
Well I mean being able to program with Direct3D as well as using this library for windowing and input, but now that I think about it, nothing stops me from using the DirectX SDK with SFML, right? I mean, all I have to do is just link the libraries and include the headers and it should work, right?
SFML only supports OpenGL, no Direct3D (even on Windows)
Are there any libraries that can do that other than SDL and is easy to use?
Quote:Are there any libraries that can do that other than SDL and is easy to use?
What do you need that SDL doesn't offer? (Having that info will make it easier to offer suggestions, I think...)
AFAIK, SDL doesn't provide any special Direct3D interop either. Nothing will (probably) explode if you put them in the same program, but getting your Direct3D rendering onto your SFML window will be tricky, maybe impossible without modding it to give you an HWND.

edit: AKAIK == a cake?
Quote:AFAIK, SDL doesn't provide any special Direct3D interop either.
It doesn't (at least 1.2.x doesn't), but you can easily create a window using SDL and then attach a Direct3D rendering context to that window.
There is mention that some aspects of using SDL's 2D mechanics invoke DirectDraw instead of OpenGL. However, once you step into 3D, it is OpenGL all the way.
Amateurs practice until they do it right.Professionals practice until they never do it wrong.
Quote:However, once you step into 3D, it is OpenGL all the way.
No, you can do 3-d rendering with Direct3D as well (at least with SDL 1.2.x).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement