Trouble Sorting a Vector of Objects

Started by
6 comments, last by chapter78 14 years, 1 month ago
Shouldn't be topic-worthy I know but I've searched around and still can't solve my problem. Maybe I'm doing something small wrong but it seems to look just like other example code from what I can tell but maybe there's something different with the context... I want to sort a vector of objects representing enemy spawns by their y variable. I have a World class with this function:

bool sortEnemies( const EnemySpawnList& e1, const EnemySpawnList& e2 ){ return ( e1.getY() < e2.getY() ); }

Where getY() returns a float. Then I call this in another function of the World class:

std::sort( enemySpawnLists.begin(), enemySpawnLists.end(), sortEnemies );

Where enemySpawnLists is a vector of EnemySpawnList objects. The compiler gives me: error C2662: 'EnemySpawnList::getY' : cannot convert 'this' pointer from 'const EnemySpawnList' to 'EnemySpawnList &' Which I think may be something to do with using those functions that return a value rather than a value itself since I messed around and that seemed to get rid of it. Is that right? That seems weird... hmm... Also I get: error C3867: 'World::sortEnemies': function call missing argument list; use '&World::sortEnemies' to create a pointer to member Now I've tried replacing the sortEnemies function etc. with what looked to me like the same code on cplusplus.com with simple ints and I still got errors. Any ideas? :/
Advertisement
enemySpawnLists is declared or passed as const. const containers cannot be sorted.

Where does enemySpawnLists come from?
The second error means that you probably mixed up free functions/member functions. If you want sortEnemies to be a member function, then it must be declared static (otherwise it needs the this-pointer).
Quote:Original post by Antheus
enemySpawnLists is declared or passed as const. const containers cannot be sorted.

Or getY() is not declared as a const member (which it almost certainly should be):

class Whatever{public:    int getY() const { return y; }};
Quote:Original post by Antheus

Where does enemySpawnLists come from?

enemySpawnLists definitely isn't declared const and I'm pretty sure it's never passed as const anywhere. It's just the iterators of enemySpawnList that are passed const, that should be ok, right?

enemySpawnLists is a part of the World class.

Quote:Original post by tivolo
The second error means that you probably mixed up free functions/member functions. If you want sortEnemies to be a member function, then it must be declared static (otherwise it needs the this-pointer).

Hmm... I tried this-> and it still tells me I'm missing the argument list.

Also, it still says:
error C2780: 'void std::sort(_RanIt,_RanIt)' : expects 2 arguments - 3 provided

Which sounds like it's mistaking the 3 argument sort for the 2 argument sort...

Quote:Original post by Aardvajk
Or getY() is not declared as a const member (which it almost certainly should be):

class Whatever{public:    int getY() const { return y; }};

Ah, that solved that problem. I was wondering what was wrong since I knew the objects were const but getY() didn't change anything. How does that work? Does it now allow const objects to call functions unless they're declared const and thereby are certain not to change anything? I have to admit I don't remember ever even seeing const in a function declaration after the function name...
Const after the function name means that calling the function doesn't modify the object. If you have a const pointer or reference to an object, you can only call methods which are const.
Seems it's all because I'm trying to pass a pointer to a member function, since making it static lets it all work.

I'll just do that then.
Yeah, change the function declaration to static and then make sure your sort call looks like this:

std::sort( enemySpawnLists.begin(), enemySpawnLists.end(), ClassName::sortEnemies );

Where ClassName is the actual name of your class :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement