• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
beiller

Create rotation matrix from 1 axis

This topic is 3022 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Everyone, wondering if anyone has any insight to this problem. I have 2 points, p1 and p2. I calculate the vector from p2 - p1: z-axis = p2 - p1 I'm parsing an armature, and it only supplies points (offsets) to each bone. I calculate the distance as: distance = z-axis.magnitude() but Im wondering how I can construct a matrix so that it will rotate the object (in this case a cylinder from 0 to length on z axis) to the vector we got from p2 - p1 as the new z-axis. z-axis.normalize() if we calculate the y-axis from any perpendicular axis : y-axis = z-axis.cross(1,0,0) then calculate the x as : x-axis = y-axis.cross(z-axis) then recalculate the y axis : y-axis = x-axis.cross(z-axis) should the matrix as shown not give the correct rotation? [[x0], [y0], [z0] [x1], [y1], [z1] [x2], [y2], [z2]]

Advertisement
With what you've posted, the x and y axes will most likely not be unit length, which means you won't have a pure rotation.

It should go something like this:
vector3 z = normalize(p2 - p1);
vector3 y = normalize(cross(z, vector3(1, 0, 0)));
vector3 x = cross(y, z);
Note that this may fail if the z axis is parallel or nearly parallel to the cardinal x axis. To work around this, instead of always crossing with the x axis, you can cross the z axis with the cardinal axis whose index corresponds to the element of the z axis with the least magnitude. (That may sound confusing, but basically it means that if |z.x| is <= |z.y| and |z.z|, you cross with the x axis; if |z.y| <= |z.x| and |z.z|, you cross with the y axis; and similarly for z.z.)

Heya again,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I knew I had to normalize. I think the problem was my library Im using in python. The Vector3.normalize() function didn't work in place so it was causing my problems :D

Mostly I was asking if the math made sense, and yes apparently it does! Hurrah!

Oh and PS I was already using the method you put at the end there and yes it makes perfect sense to me ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!