Sign in to follow this  
klefebz

Is MMOizing becoming too much a trend?

Nowadays many game developers try to convert any genre into MMO, almos all genres have MMO version. The thing is that some genres are not to be played MMO, I put as example Cities XL, a city simulator with a world of player made cities, but it became just too pointless, you can see those cities and walk'em with an avatar, also you you could buy or sell elecricity and other stuff like cooperative projects. But the other players were almost invisible, you could be playing with machines without noticing it. The question is what are the other players for? You could show your cities in past game throu forums. You could buy and sell thing to bots or to yourself. In this case MMO was so useless, and I've read that about a week ago Montecristo shut down the server because of low suscription. Does anyone else know about cases of useless MMOing?

Successful ideas always spawn spinoffs, fads, and cheap knockoffs. For game developers everywhere, it is the high road to cash and glory. The MMO model is so popular because it is fairly robust and has a relatively straightforward business model.

Yes, too many people today are trying to build MMOs out of games that really should not be MMOs, but many MMOs are really good because it increases variety and competition. There are some small MMOs that I love much more than the big MMOs out there.

I think MMO are becoming an evolving genre with some games exploring the complex player interactions that result from this games if done right
However currently MMO development pursue an illusion of success from WoW
If you analyze WoW gameplay from player interaction perspective it all boggles down to some trading, boss battles and old team deathmatch play aka not that much from this point a view
I recommend to all MMO developers to focus on interaction rather then the illusion of large sums of money or keeping the player hooked by giving him an endless stream of junk