Dumb newbie question :P

Started by
9 comments, last by Peon 22 years, 8 months ago
I''m pretty new to programming in general, and I had quick (hopefully easy) question. Following LaMothe''s book, I previously would type WNDCLASSEX winclass first, and then whenever I did winclass.something, a list would popup and tell me different options that would fit there (ie: winclass.hIcon). I found that really helpful. Today, however, I began a new project to test if I actually remebered anything. To my surprise, the little box didn''t popup anymore. Could someone please tell me how to get this box to appear again? Thanks in advance! Peon
Peon
Advertisement
Visual C++ can be a little touchy with the auto fill thing. Usually it''s because of a syntax error somewhere in your code before the line you''re typing.
Is VC++ like a webpage editor? I mean is it like click and drag? I used to have VB 6, and I never really got into it. But isn''t that kinda like some web page editing software? Just wondering.

_BUSTER_

www.crosswinds.net/~dotspot

http://www.theatermonkey.com

Visual C++ lets you build dialogs like visual basic did.. but a dialog is just an interface.. You can''t "drag-and-drop" to solve problems, if you could programmers wouldn''t have a job =)
Press Ctrl+Alt+T to force the box to come up. If it doesn''t, you made a mistake in your code. Maybe you misspelled something. Worst comes to worst, just look up the members in MSDN. Takes about 10 seconds to do that.
did you try building/compiling the project even though it wasn''t complete? sometimes i have found that you need to update the workspace by rebuilding in VC 6 for the pop up to work properly.
Midnight: Yeah, that''s what I do sometimes

I think Cyn got it exactly right. Once I built and compiled everything (I think that''s when it was) the box started appearing again. Strange

Thanks for your help, guys!

I have VC 5 and I don''t get a popup!

Should this work with any class or struct? because for now most my coding is for Half-Life mods........and an if its automatic this would make life a bit easier. Anyone? is this automatic with everything? how would I enable it? or should I stick to ctrl-alt-t, if that even works.

going to try now.
hmm....does this work at all with pointers?

cuz I can''t even try it with normal objects as the whole HL code is based on pointers...........almost all of it anyways......
Usually whatever header files are included in your project or devstudio has a path to the header files, usually. Things that can screw it up are when the file can''t be parsed correctly, i.e. typos as mentioned ealier. Other things like bizarre namespace nesting and STL type things can throw it out of whack as well.

YAP-YFIO
-deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement