Sign in to follow this  
skyfire360

Coming back to graphics - what's new?

Hey all I was pretty heavily into graphics programming a few years back, but got somewhat sidetracked recently with grad school. Now that life is calming back down, I'd like to dabble in it again, but I figure there are some key concepts I've missed out on in the last few years. I'm pretty familiar with the concepts that were around when DX9.c was popular, but I stopped actively learning new topics right around when DX10 was being introduced and I'm totally clueless as to the new improvements that DX11 bring to the graphics table (aside from new GPGPU abilities). Have any suggestions on resources on what's new in graphics and/or recent hot topics to get familiar with? And sadly it seems like the promising relief/parallax/cone-step mapping kinda fell off the face of the earth... is that the case?

Quote:
Original post by skyfire360And sadly it seems like the promising relief/parallax/cone-step mapping kinda fell off the face of the earth... is that the case?

IMO, the cost benefit of relief/parallax mapping etc.. is not good. It looks good for close up stuff however the cost is high and the benefit for a large proportion of your scene is low.

As for other cool graphics technology, IMO many graphics programmers are working on:
1. Multithreading GPU command buffer generation (DX11, but can also be done on current consoles)
2. Experimenting with deferred lighting / deferred shading
3. Reducing cost of alpha solution
4. Experiments in ray tracing

You can try going through the entries in this blog, they usually link to interesting presentations. You can also look at recent or upcoming books like GPU Pro, or ShaderX7. GPU Gems 3 is also available online for free...it's from 2007 so it's a little outdated, but if you've been out of the loop for a while then it will probably all be new for you.