• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
becoolnike

OpenGL Any good GUI library for directx?

This topic is 3019 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I had no luck finding an small GUI library for directx, all what I founded were libraries for openGL, which it really sucks because my game is in pure directx9. It seems my only choices are to code one from the scratch or customize the direcx's GUI CUSTOM EXAMPlE. Coding one from the scratch will delay a lot my project probability one month or less. A directx and C++ GUI will be nice. Any recommendations? Thanks in advanced.

Advertisement
Creating a gui from stratch is not difficult, but will take time to look good.
I am using CEGUI which has a directx9 renderer. A little time is needed to get used to it too.

Yes, I see it but I don't want to focus on the GUI rather than the actual game.
ILL use cegu, the thing that i don't like about cegui is its many third party libraries.

Ill code my own pure GUI system without all that 3rd party libraries, later.

Thanks.

A game GUI can be made in a few days (even with making the textures yourself).
Learning to use a library can take the same time (and you have to to the same work with the layout/textures).
The hardest thing in a GUI is windowing (when you have more windows), but in most cases a game don't need that. One window with tabs maybe. Or some widgets that invoke windows, but only one at a time. (And making GUI yourself can be real fun) (the GUI in the signature is 3 days of work, including making the texture, doing the layout, and the final touches too)

Yes, I will take the challenge of making an GUI from the scratch. I do not need many UI controls. I will need only textboxes, buttons, and windows. My graphics engine already handle 2d surfaces, and input, so I guess it wont take much time.

Thanks for the advice.

two years ago, there was a super-hype about IMGUI at mollyrockets.com. It's basically the idea of applying something like Immediate mode graphic rendering to UI. IMGUI is not a software, but a set of idea. One of the key ideas is also "Its that simple there is no need for a GUI framework. Just write yours on demand."

Other than that, there is DXUT included with DirectX as some kind of tutorial. It contains a basic UI system with standard stuff like buttons, edit boxes and a radio button.

Ciao, Imi.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!