Sign in to follow this  
sniperslap

OpenGL ES, tile engine looking for guidance...

I'm getting started with OpenGL ES on Android and I'd looking to learn some techniques to have a game map larger than the visible area. I've been able to design the beginnings of my rules engine, it's loading some files that define my game (tile based, turn based). I have my program structure figured out and how the game engine, android input and graphics engine will be interacting with each other. I have a generic "tile" object which stores the vertices to a square and I'm rendering it to the screen. At this point however I'm coming up against some of the first of many hurdles... I'm interested in finding out the best way to render my map (made up of tiles). Currently it's only 2D and once I've mastered those concepts and worked my game engine up a bit more, I'll transition to moving the camera around, etc... That said, what's the best way to start rendering grids of squares, scrolling when required (when the grid exceeds the boundary of the view port), and generally placing things on the screen? Some of these concepts are pretty generic, so I'm sure anyone can offer some insights. I've been making pretty good progress so far and hope to at least have a 9x9 grid of textured tiles going soon! Thanks!