iPad for gaming?

Started by
3 comments, last by Cdore 14 years, 1 month ago
Hey guys, the Apple iPad is gonna hit the shelves soon, I was wondering if gamers will consider it a gaming device and buy it or if it's gonna be just an expensive toy for few fan-boys. What are your thoughts about it? Are you going to buy an iPad? What about developers? Are you going to develop for iPad? I'm also running a poll so to have some quick data to check, feel free to vote and comment here :-)

Davide Coppola - Vindicta Games founder

Sim Betting Football, the only football betting simulation game

Advertisement
The problem with "mobile gaming" in general is that the user interface of general purpose mobile devices (such as phones, pda:s or these "pads") is not designed at all with gaming in mind.

Some simple games that don't require lightning-fast reflexes and/or lend themselves readily for simple touch input are a very fine match for these devices. However, not a single "hardcore" game will fit for this category. (Actually DS Zelda games come very close, but they're a rare exception, and even more rare is a studio that can match Nintendo).

IMHO for serious gaming, a machine designed for precisely that is still a must.

Niko Suni

Assassin's Creed
Resident Evil 5
etc,etc,,, work well. you just get an onscreen controller.
To be honest I don't like on-screen controls, cause the gamer can't avoid to cover part of the screen with his fingers and I think this is not that great with some kind of games, for example:

The iPad has a bigger screen, so this problem should be minimized, but I still think touch-screens shouldn't be used for all the genres.

Anyway, I found this poll checking the old ones on gamedev.net, so I guess mine is quite redundant, but at least the results are the same.

Davide Coppola - Vindicta Games founder

Sim Betting Football, the only football betting simulation game

Still, it's great that the Apple side of the computer industry is getting attention from both gamers and consumers. The key thing here is that non-gamers actually enjoy buying a Mac due to its presentation features. I have always witnessed peers go out and buy a Mac. They're not gamers, so they don't care whether they get a PC or Mac: just whatever looks pretty and slick, just like getting that new car.

So, I have hope for ipad succeeding, in addition to wanting to get into the development or on some development team to build games for it. It's going to be an open market for the first few months of its release, so it'll be good to jump on this quick.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement