• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JoeCoder

[Solved] Penetration of SM 2.0, 3, and 4

This topic is 3045 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. We're writing non-game Windows/Mac applications that use shaders to accelerate image processing, and are trying to find a minimum shader model version to target (otherwise we'll fall back to much slower cpu processing). I'm aware of steam's hardware survey and I can partially extrapolate this information by cross-referencing "Video Card Description" field against wikipedia's entries for what cards support each shader model version, but this survery is highly gamer-centric and we need something less biased. Ideally, we need something like: 20% SM 2.0 (highest version supported) 50% SM 3.0 30% SM 4.0 Thanks in advance. [Edited by - JoeCoder on March 18, 2010 4:50:26 PM]

Advertisement
Uh, what? You think Steam's survey is too gamer-centric, so you come to gamedev.net to ask a much smaller audience of game developers?

If you're really concerned about it have different versions of your shaders that target different versions and pick at runtime which to use.

As Greg mentioned above the Unity player data is the best when looking at average/casual systems and their capabilities.

User data is only useful if it has high overlap with your target audience.Who is your target audience? "Image processing" is fairly vague. That could mean anything from high end color grading, to red eye removal in a bundled app for a cheap camera, etc.
If not gamers, who? Professionals? Grandmothers? Professional grandmothers?

Thanks GregS, the Unity hardware survey was exactly what I was looking for. Marked as solved.

Dragon88, I ask on GameDev because it's the best place to ask general graphics programming questions. Do you know a better place to post such questions?

Quote:
Original post by gregs
Have a look at Unity's web player hardware survey. It's far less gamer-centric as it's users tend to be casual players. The latest one shows:

SM4 or above: 28.8%
SM3: 22.9%
SM2: 30.2%
Less than SM2: 18.3%

I find it quite surprising that SM2 hardware is still in that widespread use - I mean, that's GeForce 5s and equivalents, which have been out of production for quite some time. Even most shitty Intel onboards are SM3 capable, save those used on netbooks.

However, I may call a little foul on that, as since this is their web player, the chance that mobile devices are coming into play are fairly high, and the OP wouldn't necessarily be targeting those (often non-windows) platforms.

Quote:
Original post by ambershee
However, I may call a little foul on that, as since this is their web player, the chance that mobile devices are coming into play are fairly high, and the OP wouldn't necessarily be targeting those (often non-windows) platforms.

The Unity hardware survey is for PC/Mac only there are no mobile devices included. Remember that this represents your average user and not a hardcore gamer.

The site doesn't say that. It says "all users that installed the web player". That could be any device capable of installing and running the software. That most likely means Windows and Mac based systems, since those are the operating systems it's offered for, but it doesn't stop people running it on other systems.

I think that you won't need SM4 for image processing. It doesn't have any new useful features for that.
Quote:
I find it quite surprising that SM2 hardware is still in that widespread use

I don't - SM2 is a very powerful shader model. Those AAA game developers have tried to "remove" it from gamers' minds many times but we all see that almost everything is possible with SM2 - look at SC:Chaos Theory, for example. Even deferred shading runs fine on it!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!