Game Engine?

Started by
9 comments, last by Hboybowen 14 years, 1 month ago
So I have a question if one has a old version of a commercial engine but want to make it their own with more features and etc so that old version and make it my new version and call it blah blah engine what would I have to change besides adding new things. So I dont get bite later on?
Advertisement
They have to change the ownership of the engine to their own. That usually costs a boat of cash. Of that, no worries.
so you mean after I add all my features and improvements have it patented or something and that solves that?
Quote:
So I have a question if one has a old version of a commercial engine but want to make it their own with more features and etc so that old version and make it my new version and call it blah blah engine what would I have to change besides adding new things. So I dont get bite later on?

This is called creating a "derivative work," and doing so requires permission from the entity that licensed you the engine in the first place. You cannot just "change stuff" and then call it your own. That would not be legal.

You likely need to bring your lawyer into this discussion. If you do not have one, you need to hire one.
Your original post makes very little sense.

I highly doubt you'll come up with something patentable. What old commercial engine are you talking about? What kind of licensing options does it have?
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Quote:

This is called creating a "derivative work," and doing so requires permission from the entity that licensed you the engine in the first place. You cannot just "change stuff" and then call it your own. That would not be legal.

You likely need to bring your lawyer into this discussion. If you do not have one, you need to hire one.

lol dont worry im just talking hypothetically I dont even have the engine Im speaking of. I can get it easy but just wanted to know Ive heard of engines based on UE3 and blah blah so I wanted to know how they did that
Quote:
I can get it easy

If you can afford to license it so easily, you can afford to hire a lawyer to go with you to discuss the licensing terms that would allow you do what you want to do.
Quote:Original post by Hboybowen
Ive heard of engines based on UE3 and blah blah so I wanted to know how they did that

They paid for it. They bought the entire source code package.
Quote:Original post by bzroom
Quote:Original post by Hboybowen
Ive heard of engines based on UE3 and blah blah so I wanted to know how they did that

They paid for it. They bought the entire source code package.

O didnt know if you bought source you can use it to make your own engine cuz I heard a company paid for a engine and juste it to make there own and got sued so I assumed you couldnt do that... Wow didnt know that,thnx for telling me Im a 3d arist see and you might have mistaken my post I dont have the license or have started making a engine based on engine A just askin questions you see.
Quote:
O didnt know if you bought source you can use it to make your own engine cuz I heard a company paid for a engine and juste it to make there own and got sued so I assumed you couldnt do that...

What you can and cannot do is dictated by your license agreement that you enter into when you purchase the license. While you may gain access to the source code, you probably cannot simply take that source code, tweak a bit, and pass it off as another engine of yours. You almost certainly need to continue to refer to it as the original engine, or as something based on the original engine, et cetera.

You will need a lawyer to sort out your specific needs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement