New to Java

Started by
7 comments, last by nullsquared 14 years, 1 month ago
Hi all, I have been programming in VB.NET for a while now and unsure wether or not I actually like the synatx, meanwhile I want to take alook at Java as I have heard good things about it. However I don't know where to start is there some website out there that will teach me the basics of Java as I know nothing about it? What is a good IDE for Java aswell? Thanks, OneHitWonder.
Advertisement
For learing java take a look at Thinking in Java. A good and free IDE for java is eclipse.

But I would suggest to start with the simple javac and java commandline tools from the sdk to get in touch with java before you have first contact with a full sized and not simple IDE.

You might also want to try this.

Good luck!
If you want a good IDE for java, I think IDEA's Intellij is the best option. Navigation and editing is somewhat more fluent than in Eclipse.

You can download the free community edition of Intellij at their website.
If you're not a fan of VB.Net but want to stick with a .Net language then C# is an option.

The syntax is very similar to Java.
I also learned Java using the Thinking in Java book linked above, and I turned out alright I think :), so definitely check it out. After you are familiar with the basics, you can check out the tutorial trails to see how you can do some of the common things in Java. This eases the introduction into Java's standard library, which is huge. As a Java game developer you will also want to know about this website.

Both Eclipse and NetBeans are good IDEs for Java. If you want to develop desktop applications (rather than games), the NetBeans GUI editor is pretty nice, but overall I like Eclipse better. It doesn't really matter though as both are stable and mature editors and both get the job done. If you've been using VB.NET's IDE you won't feel alienated as much in either Eclipse or NetBeans, they are just slightly more complex.
One more vote for netbeans. It's also the most similar to Visual Studio, so the least headache to you.
I came to Java from C# and I really like NetBeans. Syntax for C# and Java are nearly identical. If you are a mature programmer and just don't like syntax in general, Ruby is fun.
If you're transitioning from VB.NET, I *highly* suggest you steer clear of Java and head for C#. Java has so many random gotchas that C# has bettered or fixed; C# is like a better version of Java.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement