"the version of this file is not compatible"

Started by
4 comments, last by belgreth 14 years, 1 month ago
Hey guys. Not sure where to put this question. I have my terrain editor that runs fine on my computer (vista ultimate 64bit), laptop (vista 32) and my roommates computer (vista 64). I tried running my program on a few other computers that were running vista 32bit I believe but I was getting "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system..." I compiled the code in x86 and I'm frankly at a loss of what those computers are missing. They have the xna runtime thing installed and the .net framework. What else could I be missing?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by belgreth
Hey guys. Not sure where to put this question. I have my terrain editor that runs fine on my computer (vista ultimate 64bit), laptop (vista 32) and my roommates computer (vista 64). I tried running my program on a few other computers that were running vista 32bit I believe but I was getting

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system..."

I compiled the code in x86 and I'm frankly at a loss of what those computers are missing. They have the xna runtime thing installed and the .net framework. What else could I be missing?
Can you upload the EXE file somewhere for us to check? What if you compile an app that does nothing but return 0 from WinMain, do you still get the same error (And if so, can you upload that instead?)

Moving to General Programming since it's (probably...) not DirectX related.
they are missing linux :P
That message is for 16-bit apps, and for 64-bit apps on 32-bit systems.

It seems very odd the way you described it. My first inclination is that perhaps the laptop was really 64-bit and the app really is compiled as 64-bit.

If you are absolutely sure that it runs on one 32-bit version and not another, Evil Steve's got the right idea by finding a minimal reproduction case.

Strip everything out so you only have an empty executable.

If the empty executable doesn't run on the systems it is probably a build configuration issue. Check every setting. If you still can't find it, create a new project and see if it fails.

If the empty application does run on the systems, then you'll need to strip out chunks of your program and do a binary search until you find the issue.
do you check for updates
Bring more Pain
Great! I'll try those suggestions. I don't have immediate access to the other computers so I cant test immediately but at least you guys gave me a direction to try. Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement